Tachycardia from Covid HELP please!

After years of my POTS being well under control enough that I could work p-t, I believe thanks to osteopathic treatments, including riding my bike to work several times a week, beginning Jan 16th my tachycardia mysteriously got worse. Almost immediately I had to stop working.  Visited ER about 4 times over the next 2 weeks. All EKGs appeared normal, except for one spike while semi-reclining in bed up to about 140.  I thought it strange that lying down was not helpful with the tachycardia during these weeks.  My HR felt very uneven and variable during this time as well.  Also had very little appetite during this time, as well as alot of POTS  symptoms like feeling wired and overstimulated were worsened. Oddly enough, I'd have the odd good day in this time where I'd be able to go for slow walks around my block. Last Sunday I developed cold symptoms of mild sore throat, stuffed nose, awakening with uncontrollable shaking and chills, very cold feet and hands, flushed face without fever, and sore muscles in my thighs. I went again to ER and was PCR tested for covid. The nurse phoned next day to tell me I'm Positive.  I believe that 2 week period was the virus incubating in me. 

Also must mention that miraculously I was able to get a Holter monitor 3 days last week due to how many ER visits I've had. Wasn't able to see the actual cardiologist yet as he's working from home, but his assistant called yesterday and said nothing was concerning,  max HR was 177, sinus rhythm whole time, will see cardiologist in about a month as he said there are many patients with more urgent issues than mine.  I mentioned the POTS/covid connection and he seemed like he didn't know much about how I might treat it. I believe he actually said I'd be the first one bringing this combination of issues to the doctor.

I also spoke with my family doctor over the phone Wednesday, he was reassuring in a way because he said he's got other POTS patients who acquired covid and have been to the ER every day (!!!!)  And that "your case doesn't shock me at all". I have another phone  appointment with him Monday as he hadn't had the results of the Holter yet and was waiting for that. He said he'd have some advice for me to cope with this.  I know all about being hydrated!!

Through a connection I was able to get some people-grade Ivermectin and in 3 days it has knocked out the 'cold symptoms'. The chills, stuffy nose and sore throat gone.  

Oddly enough, it's only in the last day or two that I'm developing the loss of sense of smell and taste, those weren't among my initial symptoms! 

My question is basically about this crazy tachycardia.   Covid seems to know what my weak spot is, and is exacerbating it big time!!  I am really afraid as I live alone.   Even the one ER doctor said I can't just live in the hospital and they see nothing on EKG to admit me for.  Another doctor just said it's "viral load".

Has anyone else who caught covid (not from the vaccine)  seen these crazy spikes in their tachycardia that are hard to control even supine??!   How long will this last? Yesterday I was able to care for myself, interspersed with sitting down. And even my appetite seemed better. Today I can barely make a cup of tea or use the washroom without it spiking up crazily. I'm afraid I'll be bedridden or dead!  

Please tell me about your experiences with tachycardia in relation to having covid!  Did any of your docs give an explanation as to the mechanism of how covid "concentrates" itself on our autonomic nervous system?

Hello @little_blue_jay - yes, I had COVID and I have POTS, and yes, I too had crazy tachycardia. I was admitted to hospital for COVID pneumonia and respiratory failure ( no prior lung issues ) and while there, as well as long after being discharged, my HR was very high, both lying down and getting up. My husband also had COVID at that time and - although thankfully he did not need to be admitted - he also had a high HR as well a a low oxygen level ( around 91% ). The docs assured us that these findings were "normal" for COVID and we both made it through the illness just fine. 

The most important thing is to remind yourself that your body is working overtime fighting off the virus and we need a long time to recover. Be patient with yourself! 

12 hours ago, Pistol said:

Hello @little_blue_jay my HR was very high,   he also had a high  HR  The docs assured us that these findings were "normal" for COVID and we both made it through the illness just fine. 

What kind of  HRs were you and he getting?  And how long did it take for the high HRs to resolve for each of you? 

I ran about 110 ( I am on a beta blocker, so my HR will be FORCED to be lower ) and my husband can run up to 170 ( he is on Verapamil ). Lying down to rest resolves the high HR for both of us. 

This is a disappointing response from your doctor.  It seems that he or she is allowing patients to flood the ER at a time when there is low hospital capacity for a symptom the ER likely cannot help with.  Rather, the doctor could provide a referral to a cardiologist, prescribe a beta blocker etc,   Most POTS patients are told their tachycardia is typically not dangerous, but it depends on your particular issues.  a cardiologist can run the tests and best advise you.  

I caught covid19 (presumably omicron) in January. I too had a higher than normal HR in the days leading up to my initial presentation of symptoms (fever, aches, chills) and for the first 24 hrs of symptoms. My HR was around 90 bpm while sitting. Dont want to know how high it was when walking around! I also had a ton of palpitations - PVCs and other ectopics. The HR came back down after I got my fever under control. But, I ended up running a low fever for about 6 days. The ectopics returned to their baseline level when the fever came down too. I spoke with my cardiologist and she said the tachycardia and ectopics are from the fever and inflammation caused by the virus. Something like our HR can go up by 10 bpm per degree of fever. I think mine went up a bit more than 10 bpm. I tried taking some atenolol to help and it didn't do much - Advil made biggest difference. That, and lots of liquids.

18 hours ago, yogini said:

the doctor could provide a referral to a cardiologist, prescribe a beta blocker etc,   a cardiologist can run the tests and best advise you.  

As I explained,  I was referred to a cardiologist who got me a 3 day Holter monitor which came back all normal even though it showed tachycardia.  I cannot see the cardiologist for a month. 

1 hour ago, JennKay said:

I caught covid19 (presumably omicron) in January. I too had a higher than normal HR in the days leading up to my initial presentation of symptoms (fever, aches, chills) and for the first 24 hrs of symptoms. But, I ended up running a low fever for about 6 days. 

Thank you for sharing your experience!  

I do know fever will cause tachycardia.  I never spiked a fever at all.  The virus just seems to have concentrated on my autonomic nervous system and greatly exacerbated my tachycardia.   Yesterday I had a better day, I was able to care for myself!  And now so far today I've not slept well and the HR is off racing again, not as bad as several days ago, but worse than yesterday 😩  I'm wondering if I will just have good days and bad days in my recovery!?  

On 2/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, Pistol said:

Hello @little_blue_jay we both made it through the illness just fine. 

your body is working overtime fighting off the virus and we need a long time to recover. Be patient with yourself! 

Pistol,  did you find that you had good days and bad days in the road to recovery?  Like the HR would get better and next day worse?

I had a better day yesterday,  spoke to my doctor and he thought I'd 'turned the corner',  and now today the HR is gone wonky again, and my doctor isn't in the office today anyway!  

@little_blue_jay - for me the HR issues were consistently bad and improved with time, however once I was able to be more active things would get worse when I would be upright more often ( typical for POTS ). Same happened to my husband. In general dysautonomia patients can become quite unstable following illness, especially viruses, and fluctuating symptoms can be expected. 

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@little_blue_jay  In general dysautonomia patients can become quite unstable following illness, especially viruses, and fluctuating symptoms can be expected. 

That's reassuring...  I keep thinking this too.   

I should have asked my doctor about this yesterday,  but I was feeling improved so I thought I'd keep trending upwards. Now I can't even call him today to tell him I've downswung again 🥴  it's like one step forward,  one step back ☹

2 hours ago, little_blue_jay said:

it's like one step forward,  one step back

Yes, that's unfortunately exactly it! Once you realize this reality you can begin to not be so anxious anymore about the worsening symptoms! Because every time you get worse you will learn that you will also get better again. I call it every day is like balancing on a silk thread.