COVID19 Experiences

JennKay

Hi All - 

Am wondering what experiences people have had with covid19 lately, particularly with omicron. Unfortunately, my husband was exposed by a vaxxed family member New Year's Day. He gave it to my son, who gave it to me, then I gave it to our daughter. My husband is vaxxed and boosted, but I am only double vaxxed. I started having symptoms last Tuesday - low fever (99-100F, although it has jumped to 101F at times), elevated HR (85-95 bpm at rest, normally b/w 60-75 at rest), elevated BP (my elevated BP is 120/80, normal is 10-15 points lower), along with frequent PVCs and PACs. As long as I keep the fever close to 99, my HR seems manageable. Spoke to cardiologist and she said there isn't much to do, just wait it out and take Tylenol, Advil, and my beta-blocker when needed. She also mentioned that the fever and inflammation from covid19 is causing the elevated HR and increased premature beats.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms? How long did your symptoms last?

And, my apologies if there is a recent post on this topic. I looked around for one, but the posts that include the term "covid" are all over the place with regards to content.

I got COVID over Christmas. I had a lot of congestion (took Sudafed when it got bad, though that might mess with your HR, check with your doctor). I was away from home so I didn’t have anything to monitor my numbers, but I was having a lot of adrenaline surges, so my numbers were probably all over the place. I tested negative after 8-10 days, but still have lingering congestion. I also have been having worse POTS symptoms— palpitations, fatigue, tingling in the extremities, GI upset, trouble standing. I’m a college teacher and am supposed to start back in person this coming week, but my doctor and I agreed that I should teach online (from home) for now. I’m hoping that it is just taking a while to recover fully, and that I return to baseline soon. Also hopeful that I don’t develop long COVID over the next few months, which would suck. 

@JennKay I had the Delta variant in the fall and was hospitalized for COVID pneumonia. Later I developed autoimmune issues that I still experience today. However - I recovered relatively fast from the pneumonia and any COVID symptoms. The fast HR and BP changes ( in my case it was low BP ) are related to the viral infection, fever and immune response I was told by my docs. Strangely while I was the sickest my POTS was pretty unremarkable and did not rear its ugly head until well after I recovered. Now - in my case COVID was followed by sepsis and I was bedridden for 3 months, so reconditioning was a real issue. I - as you - experienced near syncope when getting up and fought with dizziness for a few weeks. But I got it under control by slowly increasing my activity. At first I could barely make it to the bathroom but once I could do that safely I started to increase time upright. Finally I would start to walk outside for even just 2 minutes. Today I am fine and can even use my rowing machine again. 

I can only stress the importance of staying active even when bedridden form any illness or flare. When I could not get out of bed I would do leg and abdomen strengthening exercises while laying down, to help circulation and keep the muscles and joint in check. 

I hope you will recover soon!

@PistolThanks for sharing your experience, which sounds like it was quite intense. I'm trying to do small things to stay upright, as you mentioned. For a once it is freezing cold here in Houston and I would love to just sit outside in the sun and get fresh air in my lungs. It should be warm enough in a few days and hopefully by then I will want to try a short walk as you suggested. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 4:50 AM, Pistol said:

@JennKay  while I was the sickest my POTS was pretty unremarkable and did not rear its ugly head until well after I recovered. . 

I would do leg and abdomen strengthening exercises while laying down

I just saw these comments. How long after you recovered did the POTS symptoms start to flare up?  Did your doctors give you anything for the inflammation they mentioned being related to covid? 

Also what specific leg and abdomen exercises did you do supine?

On 1/15/2022 at 2:21 PM, Yhoun said:

I was having a lot of adrenaline surges, so my numbers were probably all over the place.

worse POTS symptoms— palpitations, fatigue,

hopeful that I don’t develop long COVID over the next few months, which would suck. 

Yhoun,   I seem to be having the adrenaline surges too.  It's probably contributing to how many times I've had to visit the ER from all this, then by the time I get in the ambulance my numbers look normal.  What did you find helped to cope with these adrenaline surges?

Also how did you deal with the worsened palpitations?

Also did you develop 'long' covid? (Hopefully not!)    I can't find much on long covid in here... 

5 hours ago, little_blue_jay said:

How long after you recovered did the POTS symptoms start to flare up? 

I had additional inflammatory issues going on as well as sepsis after the COVID, so I was out of commission for about three months. Then the POTS started to really get bad again, when I was ready to be more active. 

5 hours ago, little_blue_jay said:

Also what specific leg and abdomen exercises did you do supine?

I do the bicycle as well as leg presses. That means bending my knees and pressing my feet into the bed until my butt lifts up. And bringing my knees to my chest and rocking back and forth ( really gets to your abs if you do it right! )

I'm just getting over it. Still a lingering dry cough and that's it.

My wife, daughter, niece visited family. My in laws. I didnt go. My mother in law had covid but wasn't aware. She was sick and tested positive a couple days later. She's vaccinated plus boosted. My 1 year old niece lives with me. All 3 of them got sick. Very quick. It hit me a couple days later. 

Eventually we all tested positive. Everyone is fine now. As far as how it messed with my pots...well anytime I get sick now, My heart rate and blood pressure go really high. It did this for maybe a week. I was very fatigued the 2nd week. I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days other than to use the bathroom or shower. My wife was that fatigued too. Another weird symptom is it felt like I had blood pooling in my hands. They felt stuffed. And my feet were pulsating for a few days. That's gone now.

It's definitely NOT the sickest I've ever been but pots made it 10x more annoying. When I got up I'm not sure if I was having palpitations or what. My lips would get a shock or something and go numb for a second while standing. This only last a couple of days. 

I would compare it to a mild flu I guess. The pots just made it really crappy. 

On 2/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, Pistol said:

I had additional inflammatory issues going on as well as sepsis after the COVID, so I was out of commission for about three months. Then the POTS started to really get bad again, when I was ready to be more active. 

I do the bicycle as well as leg presses. That means bending my knees and pressing my feet into the bed until my butt lifts up. And bringing my knees to my chest and rocking back and forth ( really gets to your abs if you do it right! )

Are you doing alright now?