neck injury whiplash

I am wondering something. I had a few symptoms years ago (never found out what was wrong), then was in a rear ended car accident and since then, I have had enormous problems. I really believe my symptoms are being caused by something in my neck. I am going to an alternative dr--D.O. that does GENTLE manulipation--nothing scary at all or rough-light touch manulipation, and it seems to have helped greatly. I have only been 2xs. I can get the feeling back in my arms, legs, and neck afterwards. He says that I have compression in the neck/head area.

Are there any of you that have had the same issue or suspected that it was your neck?

Thanks Jennifer TX

Jennifer..

hi

since I was about 12yrs old i becan having problems with my neck.. and swelling in the right side of my body.. no clue why..

but in 2001..the pain in my neck was so severe..

to make a long story short..I was 19.. and working 2 jobs.. about 70-80 hours a week.. and my jobs required me to do some lifting of patients..

well one day after working I went home early becasue the pain in my neck was becoming unbearable.. and went to sleep and woke up unable to get out of bed or move the right side of my body..well this set off some things..

I was unable to move my head or arm.. and intitally had though i really had yanked a muscle in my neck and shoulder..and just kept right on working.. all them hours.. well about 2 weeks after I woke up like that..It got mucj much worse..i went o see my doctor..

and she said that I wa susffering from whip lash..(even though I had not been in a car accident or anything).. and that had I not come when i did that i would have been left permantly paralyzed on my right side of my body.. in regards to my neck being bent at a weird angle.. and not being able to use my right arm..

so this set off 1 1/2 of physcial theraphy 3-4 times a week...and alot whole of pain and muscle relaxers..the PCP I had at the time said that the injuries I had when i was 12.. had resurfaced I guess.. and we later found out that I have a herinated disk. at my c5-c6 level.. and that right where the disk is herinated my spine is rotated.. and that there is alot of tissue and muscle damage to my neck..arm and shoulder.. and that it becomes in flammed..and in a sense mimicks a whip lash.. and that with the amount of hours that I worked.. fatigued my body.. so very badly..

anyways getting to my point..that was in Aug.2001 and in march 28th, 2002.. Pots hit me full force.. and i have not been the same since..

so yes i definatly feel that my neck injuries have something to do with my POTs.. I just really never realized to what exstent until recently..I dont think that it is the sole casue of my Pots.. but it crashed my body out so badly..

goodluck to you!

oh yeah.. i find that a tenz unit.. really helps relieve some pain from the next.. in regards to muscles/tissue pain..

I had whiplash in 1992. And after that had a lot of pain and as dizzygirl said in a another post MUNGO knots :D at the back of my neck right near the skull. Still get those and neck spasms adn lots of pain. I did not get bad POTS until 1995 but I wonder now if that somehow contributed to it. Hmmmm

We are alwys thinking aren't we? :-)

Stacey :-)

Jennifer!

Yes! You may be really on to something.

Maybe new member OCSunshine/Rachel can shed some more light on this topic also...

But...my POTS is probably caused by a compression of the spinal column (cervical stenosis) which can sometimes be treated using neural tensions (maybe some of the gentle manipulations that your D.O. is using).

Please check out my lengthy post on this topic under nina's topic from a while back 'mulling something over my dr. said today'. If you can't find it with the search function let me know...

Emily

Please be very careful with this--I have EDS, and manipulation, of any kind, can be dangerous for me. I did have a severe whiplash injuy in 1974, when I was 10. I ruptured a disc at c5-6, but we didn't have the technology that we have now to diagnose it. It wasn't until my surgery more than 20 years later that we realized the disc was gone.

some people seem to do well with d.o. manipulation, but again, everyone is different, so please be careful.

nina

I second nina's suggestion of being careful with manipulation..for some people who are healthy and just need a neck adjustment.. is one thing.. but when you have a multitute of things going on.. you never know..

I had my neck "cracked once about 6 mos. ago.. and I will never do that again..OUChie!!!!

so use caution!!!

Nina,

I hear you...I guess that what made it sound 'okay' was that it is 'light touch' manipulation. This is usually very, very gentle and not what we think of as traditionaly 'cracking' like might be done at the chiropractor! I was thinking more along the lines of things like Neural Tensions, Myofascial Release and Cranial Sacral Therapy. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not thing that these methods would be harmful to EDS or the discs? For example, Neural Tensions, work at clearing movement restrictions on the nerve level and are very gentle? Please, Please let me know if I have this wrong...Obviously, I do not know what particular techniques this dr. is using. But D.O.'s are trained in some really great stuff...unfortunately most of them in traditional practice are too busy to actual practice the manual techniques that they have learned and stick to mroe traditional medicine. But they do have a neat perspective on the body and healing...

Also, I wanted to note that I do gentle manual therapy also but cannot tolerate what we would count as 'traditional PT' (exercises)...

Just my two cents...hope I haven't stuck my foot in my mouth. Maybe Jennifer can elaborate on what sort of techiniques this person is using and what clued him in to possible compression issues. For instance, was it movement restrictions?? Upon moving your head certain ways can you recreate your POTS symptoms? Is this what is clearing with the therapy? If so, I think you are onto something!

Emily

Craniosacral therapy dropped my bp so low, I was unable to drive after treatment. Thank goodness the first time I did it, I had Teri with me to drive. Any manipulation, even gentle, is something to do with extreme caution. My neurosurgeon will refuse me future treatment if I go for chiropractic or for craniosacral.

nina

Hi girls. I just wanted to add that some people with EDS have fragile vessels, and chiropractic manouvers can be a bad idea as vessels have been known to rupture or tear with chiro manipulation. (I've been witness to this) This is just another thing to be aware of as a potential risk. As with anything, use caution . :) Laura.