Severe stomach cramps in morning

cmep37

So for the last week or so I have woken around 6am with agonising stomach cramps, bad enough that I feel like I might pass out.  It feels like my bowel is contracting really strongly to move poo through my bowel; the pain comes in waves every 10 minutes or so until after a couple of hours I feel an urge to go.  When I do go to the loo it is normal - I don't have diarrhoea and I'm not badly constipated (because of my hEDS painkillers my poo is always a little on the hard side but I've always gone every day without any problems).   Nothing in my diet has changed either - it just started out of the blue.  Once I go to the loo the cramps start to ease off and after a hour have completely gone until the next morning when the same thing starts again.

My GP is thinking it's most likely IBS and has suggested I try buscopan/scopolamine for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.  She is the first to admit that she is no expert on dysautonomia though and suggested that I ask on here if anyone had experienced anything similar?  

@cmep37 - I have IBS from POTS a times, and I also can get cramps like that, but I have IBS-D, so mine is usually coupled with diarrhea. What has helped me for that was a medicine called Reglan, but I only took it for a few weeks because it can have side effects that are not desirable. Mostly now I suffer from severe GERD when the IBS kicks up. I also found improvement in the cramps by avoiding certain foods

I'm really hoping it will be one of those dysautonomia things that bother you for a couple of weeks and then go away!  IBS does makes sense but I'm not gassy, don't have diarrhoea, haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary and have been a lot less stressed this week than the week before when I had a flood from the washing machine in my rented flat!  The only thing that's out of the ordinary is that I got my period this afternoon - normally with my Mirena coil I don't bleed but it's been 3 years since I had it fitted and when my periods come back I always get a new one as they have such a bad effect on my POTS symptoms.  I have endometriosis in the past and I think my bowel was one of the places badly affected by that - maybe that has something to do with it?

Tee hee @MikeOmy GP agrees with you and has referred me to get a new coil fitted - of course with the NHS waiting lists it may take a few weeks/months before I get it done as I need a gynae consultant to do it - my GP can't even do a smear on me as my cervix is so hard to find (sorry that's even further into girlie territory!)

3 hours ago, cmep37 said:

Tee hee @MikeOmy GP agrees with you and has referred me to get a new coil fitted - of course with the NHS waiting lists it may take a few weeks/months before I get it done as I need a gynae consultant to do it - my GP can't even do a smear on me as my cervix is so hard to find (sorry that's even further into girlie territory!)

Oh @cmep37I hope this solves your issue. Luv your sense of humour. Hugs...

cmep37, I take 400 mg of Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra) at nighttime and it has made a huge difference in positive, good feelings, both physically and mentally. I was tending to experience too much intestinal sensation in the early morning that would interfere with sleep. Like you, although normal, stools were a little hard. I had endometriosis, too, when a young woman and by the time I had a hysterectomy it had caused bladder, rectum, and uterus to all adhere together. Years later this is still a sensitive area for me sometimes. 

Slippery Elm causes reflex stimulation of nerve endings in the gastrointestinal tract and at remote locations (respiratory and urinary tracts, mouth, etc.) leading to increased mucus secretion and less internal dryness. It is used in a wide variety of GI conditions and makes for a quiet, happy tummy - no more severe cramps or spasms for me. Additionally, the quercetin in slippery elm is an inflammation-modulating plant flavonoid that helps alleviate my symptoms of interstitial cystitis (IC). Slippery elm may be my favorite find for 2021. It is FDA approved as safe and is classed as a nutritive - it goes with anything else one might be taking. 

cmep37, I did think of Mike while writing my post. And Yes, Pistol, it does make things feel more slippery. And it's nice to feel 'hydrated' everywhere...

Using slippery elm has also helped eliminate Summer-Fall allergy woes (pollen is usually high in my area). And it does have some positive, good effect on dry eyes and skin. Maybe I should take more, which is recommended, but one cap is enough for the small woman that I am.  Anyway, it is a great addition that won't kill me. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Girls @cmep37@Rexie@PistolI finally got it. I am blushing :). @Rexieso this really works for dry eyes? and won't interact with current meds?

Mike, for me, it's great with intestines, the blushable-thing (who doesn't thrill to discover the normal physiological response of wetness?), dry mouth, snivels, breathing; medium with throat soothing; a help with eyes and dry skin - not a fix. 

As far as I can tell from personal experience and extensive research, it is perfectly safe. It is sometimes recommended that you take it at times you are not taking important meds lest it interfere with their absorption. But, in my chemistry mind, I don't see it complexing with anything to mess with drugs you might take. You can open a cap and put it in water, a smoothie, or what not and it is not thick or gel-like or anything, just adds a wee bit of texture. My ashwagandha and other goodies work just as quick as ever when taken with a cap of slippery elm.