Medical Cannabis

MTRJ75

Guest KiminOrlando

My disability is national. Social Security Disability is from the federal government so if they see in the notes I'm taking meds that in theory could land me in jail, I would think it might matter. I know SS Disability stops if you go to jail. Just because my state has legalized it doesn't mean it is legal according to the federal government. There has been speculation that Federal law enforcement could prosecute people in states where it is legal. To my knowledge, they haven't. I think Federal law enforcement has better things to do, but bureaucratic paper pushers look for reasons to deny coverage. I don't want to risk my health insurance and only income on something that might not even work.

I wish they would just let me use Valium at night.

I know employers in Florida still drug test for it. Some allow it with proof it is for medical purposes, but they do not have to. Federal government employees cannot test positive even if they have a MM card and it is legal in their state. This may be too much of a gamble for me.

@KiminOrlandoHave you tried low dose Trazodone - I take 100mg whereas the usual dose for depression is 300- 500mg?  Someone here recommended it for insomnia and it has really helped me at night.  I now feel much more relaxed at night - before I would often get a second (maybe even a first!) wind at 11pm and not be able to sleep until 3-4 am. I need to take it early evening (no later than 7pm) but I now rarely have wave after wave of pure panic when I am trying to get to sleep and the quality of my sleep has also improved.  I often get a block of 3-4 hours sleep whereas in the past I woke every hour and struggled to get back to sleep.  I forgot to fill my prescription a couple of weeks ago and without it the autonomic surges were back and my sleep was patchy at best although I had no withdrawal symptoms.  My GP also wouldn't prescribe Valium but was happy to let me try Trazodone and is actually recommending it now to other patients of hers with insomnia as it has been so effective for me.

Some of you have some concerns that marijuana may drop blood pressure.  This is both true and not true. 

Marijuana and delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) increase heart rate, slightly increase supine blood pressure, and on occasion produce pronounced, short-term orthostatic hypotension related to the most immediate effect occurring within a few minutes after partaking when heart rate increases by 20-50%. Thus, after smoking or vaping a sudden change of posture from lying down to standing up may produce orthostatic hypotension (a feeling of light-headedness and faintness) that is often the earliest indication of intoxication in naive users. So, if you haven’t tried marijuana or used it much, just make sure to sit down before using and wait a few minutes. Tolerance to most of the initial cardiovascular effects appears rapidly. With repeated marijuana use, supine blood pressure decreases slightly, orthostatic hypotension disappears, blood volume increases, heart rate slows, and circulatory responses to exercise and Valsalva maneuver (a breathing technique) are diminished, consistent with centrally mediated, reduced sympathetic, and enhanced parasympathetic nervous system activity. 

If one wants to skip the initial bump-up of heart rate increase and possible orthostatic hypotension sometimes associated with smoking or vaping, ingestible forms of natural marijuana or synthetic THC might be the way to go although noticeable effects take longer to manifest. 

Marijuana users have significantly higher levels of dopamine and norepinephrine than non-users. Both neurotransmitters help keep blood pressure up in the normal range for those with chronic low blood pressure. Marijuana is a good help for pain and a nice distraction from pain, including IC pain for some people. It will get most people up and active for long, pleasurable periods of time or help folks unwind, relax muscles, and reduce spasticity & spasms during sedentary pastimes. Those with eating challenges might like its appetite stimulating properties so that food and beverage intake can fuel activities of all kinds.  All of marijuana's good effects can be had without becoming totally blitzed or buzzed - just use less. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/28/2021 at 9:18 PM, Rexie said:

Some of you have some concerns that marijuana may drop blood pressure.  This is both true and not true. 

Marijuana and delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) increase heart rate, slightly increase supine blood pressure, and on occasion produce pronounced, short-term orthostatic hypotension related to the most immediate effect occurring within a few minutes after partaking when heart rate increases by 20-50%. Thus, after smoking or vaping a sudden change of posture from lying down to standing up may produce orthostatic hypotension (a feeling of light-headedness and faintness) that is often the earliest indication of intoxication in naive users. So, if you haven’t tried marijuana or used it much, just make sure to sit down before using and wait a few minutes. Tolerance to most of the initial cardiovascular effects appears rapidly. With repeated marijuana use, supine blood pressure decreases slightly, orthostatic hypotension disappears, blood volume increases, heart rate slows, and circulatory responses to exercise and Valsalva maneuver (a breathing technique) are diminished, consistent with centrally mediated, reduced sympathetic, and enhanced parasympathetic nervous system activity. 

Thanks for sharing these insights about medical cannabis and its effects on blood pressure! I think it's pretty cool how cannabis culture is evolving with legalization in many states. I actually came across some awesome bong bowls in a store recently. The variety and craftsmanship are next level! It's like a whole new world of options for cannabis enthusiasts. And you're spot on about the different benefits of marijuana, from pain relief to relaxation and appetite stimulation. It's fantastic that users can tailor their experience by adjusting the dosage.

• 2 weeks later...

In the state of Maine, there is actually a law banning discrimination in housing, employment or schooling based on medical cannabis use. Unless to comply with safety regulations (truck driver, etc) it’s illegal to even test for it! 

Cannabis has been legal in Maine for so long now it’s hard to remember when there even were regulations. 😁