Ear drops causing a potential fainting episode yet high BP?

Derek1987

Dudes...in other words girls. I went to an ENT doc about vertigo issues. To see if i have it. I have to take some test. The problem is my right ear is clogged so they put me on ear drops first. The 2nd time i used them just a few mins ago, i was flushing my ear out. I got hot and dizzy and i couldnt stand. I was on on the floor and everything was spinning. My hands were tingling a bit so i thought i might be about to faint. I asked my wife to get my BP monitor. It was 177/99. The dizziness stopped after a bit lying on the bathroom floor. Eventually my BP became stableish. Just wondering if anyone knew what the heck happened. Been diagnosed with hyper pots fyi. 

A very bad flare up I had two years ago started with my ears clogged really badly and taking a decongestant to relieve the pressure and loss of hearing.  May not have any relationship to what you are experiencing, but in my experience anything that is off with the body can potentially trigger POTS.

I have felt dizzy yet had highish bp.  I have not been told I have hyper POTS, but when I am in a flare up I have episodes of high bp.

Tingling of hands can be a symptom of a panic attack/adrenaline surge.

Dysautonomia can cause strange, multiple and disturbing symptoms.

@Derek1987 - the same thing happened to me, I too have HPOTS. I had a perforated eardrum and blood built up in the ear canal. Once the drum healed they flushed out my ear ( after using drops first ). While flushing I had a seizure (same mechanism as syncope), BP was high. I was told that differences in pressure in the ear or even the swooshing sound and the cold of the water hitting the drum can cause a sudden drop in BP - which in HPOTS will trigger the Sympathetic NS and the BP skyrockets. Best to avoid doing that 🙃!

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@Derek1987 - the same thing happened to me, I too have HPOTS. I had a perforated eardrum and blood built up in the ear canal. Once the drum healed they flushed out my ear ( after using drops first ). While flushing I had a seizure (same mechanism as syncope), BP was high. I was told that differences in pressure in the ear or even the swooshing sound and the cold of the water hitting the drum can cause a sudden drop in BP - which in HPOTS will trigger the Sympathetic NS and the BP skyrockets. Best to avoid doing that 🙃!

My water was hot. Im assuming the same thing would of happened either hot or cold. Gonna try again tonight sigh. I have to get the wax out. Now im really nervous about getting my tonsils out. Any little thing can cause problems. 

@Derek1987 - since I have a history of seizure with flushing the ear my doc wants me to come to his office to have this done. I would have the ENT doc do it - they can actually remove the wax with a tool instead of flushing it out, I had that done and it did not cause an episode. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Derek1987 - since I have a history of seizure with flushing the ear my doc wants me to come to his office to have this done. I would have the ENT doc do it - they can actually remove the wax with a tool instead of flushing it out, I had that done and it did not cause an episode. 

Well she said my ear was 100 percent clogged and dug a lot out but she said theres still 50 percent left and that i needed to use drops to get the rest. Not sure if she was being lazy or what. It hurt though with how deep she was going in with the tool. Im going to call her in a bit. 

@Derek1987

I'm not sure if this is what caused your reaction, but it sounds as if it *may* have contributed - whenever you or anyone else flushes or rinses your ears, use water at room temperature - not hot *or* cold. A few years ago I was having my ears cleaned by a PA and she used cold water and I became very dizzy, like room spinning dizzy while she was doing it. This seemed odd to me because I remember having had it done when I was in my teens and I didn't get the slightest bit dizzy. I later learned that she should have used room temperature water.  This was a few years before I was diagnosed with POTS or had any full-on POTS symptoms. Good luck with the tonsils!!