bp drop lying down

Alicia479

I have a quick (hopefully) question regarding bp. I have POTS and I am seeing my EP on Tues. but I thought I would post it on here to see if anyone else has the same problem. While my pusle will jump 60-80 bpm when I stand up my bp will usually not drop my more than 10-15. However, my blood pressure drops significantlyevery time I lie down. My pusle does not change when this happens. I am also getting really bad headaches when this happens and I wake up with them every morning. :) After I sit up it goes away and my bp returns to normal or near normal. Could it be a side effect of medicine? I am on Midodrine, Mestinon, and salt tablets. It sees so odd to me. I was worried taking midodrine that my bp would go up lying down not down! :P I am hoping my doc will be able to give me some advice about this but for now I thought I would post on here and see if anyone else experiences this.

Thanks!

~Alicia

I always get a significant drop in BP when lying down, and I'm not on any meds. Do you know if this was happening to you before you went on meds? I also get those killer headaches when my BP is too low. It's possible it could be a side effect of the meds, but it could just be the typical symptoms of POTS, like it is for me. :)

Your BP doesn't necessarily have to drop in order to dx POTS. They mostly go by increase in HR 20-30 bpm when standing, although some of us do experience significant drop in BP upon standing too. It certainly doesn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it.

gena

Gena, thank you for your reply. Yes I knew that POTS does not have to have a drop in blood pressure. I just was not sure though about it dropping lying down. Thank you so much for your reply! Aren't those headaches horrible?... :D Thanks again!

Alicia

Alicia,

I have a drop whether I'm lying or standing. At Vanderbilt it was found that I have problems with any change in position due to hypovolemia. You are not alone.

Although many people with POTS have a drop in BP when standing, I think a slight drop in BP when lying down is actually normal. If you are having a big drop, it may partly be the mestinon. I was prescribed mestinon, but never took it. From what I remember, mestinon is supposed to raise your BP only when standing, so when you lie down it is no longer a factor. If you feel funny and are getting headaches, I would call the doctor.

-Rita

hi alicia-

good to "see" you. rita's right in that "normal" folks tend to have BPs that are a bit lower when laying down. or rather they're a bit higher when standing. same difference? honestly a lot of people have fluctuations but it's not tracked meticulously b/c of the fact it is just the way the body is. so, in and of itself i wouldn't think that a lower BP when flat is reason for concern.

that said, if you're having symptoms brought about by your BP being too low - in any position - it's definitely something to bring up with the doc. i can certainly empathize as i've had many a headache from low BP while laying down. they are horrible! for me they've never been caused by laying down but rather just persist when laying down. either way though no fun at all.

in terms of the meds you referenced, from what i know none of them should be causing lower BP. while it's true that mestinon is not supposed to raise one's BP when flat, it's not supposed to lower it either. i also am on mestinon & midodrine (along with lots of other stuff :D ).

good luck,

:-)melissa

Thanks for all the great replys. I am planning on asking my doc about it tomorrow. I am sure it is no big deal. Maybe I should ahve put earlier what it drops to. It drops to 78/35 as soon as I lie down and then goes back up when I sit up. :D It will stay low as long as I stay laying down. That seems like a signiciant drop to me as my "normal" is 110/68 ish but who knows. Like I said before though, I am sure its fine. Thanks for all the imput, I really appreciate it! :(

Thanks again,

Alicia

alicia -

i would agree that the degree of a drop you're describing doesn't fit in the "it happens to everyone" category. not that you should be super worried, but definitely good to ask you doc. hope the appointment goes well!

:-)melissa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I have pretty low BP sitting and laying down. Then I stand up and it jumps up to right aroung normal, and sometimes high, related to my symptoms... I was assured at Vandy that while it's not the "norm" for POTS patients, I'm definitely not the only one like this...

So it's not like it drops a tiny bit upon standing, but it doesn't do what some POTS people think it should- drop a lot.

I'm pretty sure that's why I don't faint, too...