Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped

Hey all!

I am really excited b/c I got approved for services from the Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. All that I needed was my doctor's signature saying that I couldn't read because of an 'organic cause' or physicaly disability. I got approved without further questioning. My PCP knows me and my situation, and had no problem signing the form for me if it would help me to have more enjoyment of books.

I know many of you are able to focus to read, but I am one of the folks that cannot. I can go online for bits at a time, but most of the time am too fatigued to read. And, even holding a book for a long period of time would be a challenge! Sad, I know, but hey...

Anyway, I have gotten a bit tired of the limited selection at our local library and the LBPH has a HUGE selection!!! I am soooo EXCITED. This for me was a big step in the 'acceptance'...that I am disabled.

They send you a tape player. And bi-monthly catalog updates. And you get your books on tape in the mail. No late fees. Incredibly easy packages and free return shipping. Order and renew books online, by phone, by email, by fax. The librarians so far have all been incredibly wonderful and helpful.

For me, my world is pretty small...and I am homebound. This opens up a lot of doors for me and I am just 'tickled pink' to have all this selection of books. I just don't know where to start! This also saves my mom trips to the library!

I just wanted to post this in case it would help any of the rest of you who struggle with reading...

The address is....

http://www.loc.gov/nls/

AND...please let me know your favorite books you've been reading!!!!! ;)

Later Alligators!

emily

Oh wow thats wonderful!

I know when i use to find reading too hard it was very depressing as i love reading. Thankfully i am able to read again. I am so happy that you are able to enjoy books again too :)

My fave book is Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, its the King Arthur tale written from the females perspective. Its not wishy washy fantasy, its solid fantasy (if that makes sense? heh)

I recently read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. I found it took me a little while to get into but once i did enjoy i really enjoyed it. Its about Dinah from the bible, Its again a story told from the females perspective.

Its quite a interesting new take on a familiar story.

"Lost to history by the chronicles of men, here at last is the dazziling story of Dinah, Jacob's only daughter in the Book of Genisis.

Moving panoramically from Mesopotamia to Canaan to Egypt, The Red TEnt is robustly narrated by Dinah, from her upbringing by the four wives of Jacob to her growth into one of the most influential women of her time. In seeking to preserve her own remarkable experiences, as well as those of a long-ago era of womanhood, dinah tells her story in this beautiful, thought provoking novel."

What types of books do you enjoy? I may be able to tailor suggestions to your taste ;)

Evie,

I loved the Red Tent also! Thanks for the suggestion! Also, I am Jewish, so I really found that book fascinating with all of the old testament stuff. It took me a while to get into it also.

I like all sorts of different stuff I guess...I don't know...that's a good question. Hmmm....Favorites: Secret Life of Bees, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series, hmmm...I've listened to a TON of children's literature b/c we have a friend who is a Children's Librarian (she just retired, so I no longer have a continuous book supply from her!), so I listened to mostly those this year...a lot of Newberry Medal winners. And I really enjoyed them. A Single Shard. The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

I like stories in which I can really feel connected to the characters I guess...some things on tape are hard to listen to...some easier...

Sometimes I want TOTAL fluff and I will listen to an Agatha Christie mystery or something fun like that...

So it all depends...and I am ALWAYS open to suggestions! :)

BTW...WELCOME! ;) And thanks for the tips, I might check out the other book you mentioned...

Emily

Emily,

Thanks so much for the idea. I haven't been posting much because of a lack of concentration. I can skim but that's as far as I get. I've been trying to read the first book of an old series I loved many years ago about the formation of Isreal as a state following WWII. I am finding it so hard to concentrate and read. So so sad because reading has always been a favorite passtime. I love children's books too! The best one I read last year with my kids was called the Golden Goblet - about a little boy in old Egypt. We also enjoyed Master Cornhill about a boy in London during the plague and the great fire. I also love Agatha Christie and I love Jane Austen novels. In fact, yesterday I was really sick so I watched my favorite movie "Persuation".

OK - struggling to type so better go.

After 'while croccodile!

Roselover

Roselover,

OH, your message just really spoke to me...i hear you! As you know, I've had POTS for seven years, most of which I haven't been able to do much reading.

I hope that others may benefit from this service as well...that's why I posted it...

At first I debated whether or not I 'fit' the category or was abusing the system or blah de blah. Was I lying that I couldn't read b/c some days I can read on the forum for a while? But, the reality is that I do that during my 'best' 'times, and the rest of the day I am out of it. I need something in my little world...and so, I explored this option.

I will never abuse the system or anything like that, and am trying to accept that I am in need of such services...

Mostly, I just feel INCREDIBLY EXCITED AND GRATEFUL THAT SUCH A SERVICE EXISTS. The blind had such great advocacy from early on that they have some of the best programs in place. They are a good model for all of us in that sense.

And, that selection of books is HUGE. I AM SURE YOU COULD FIND THE BOOK YOU WANT TO READ SO BADLY ON TAPE.

I have missed your presence on the board lately...and am sorry you are having such a rough time of it. Guess what...I"m still not sleeping which means books on tape galore...no reading for me! Grrrr....

Hope it's soon baboon...

Emily

roselover -

good to "see" you...i've been worried about you! sorry to hear that you haven't been doing great but glad to see you're hanging in there....

em-

CONGRATS on the library thing. talk about funny....in checking out the cleveland library system online they actually have really prominant links to the library you're referring to (or their own version) on their website. i'm not sure whether it's the exact one or their own local version, but i looked at it just out of curiousity and was impressed. and i thought of you:-) and then saw your post and was so happy for you. from times when i haven't been able to read i KNOW how tough it is and know that for you it's been a longer haul reading-wise (or lack of reading-wise) without much respite. and please don't play those mind games with yourself about taking advantage of the system. i know that's easier said than done, but you are the last person who would ever do that! and honestly...if you were going to sneak around and take advantage of something, i'd think you'd be doing it with something more mischevious than books:-) (and i truly hope you know that i'm just teasing ya!) and like you were inferring, there is a HUGE difference between a bit of reading here and there - on the board or whatnot - and reading books. for a good chunk of this year i couldn't do books at all but could flip through a magazine here or there.

so....again, congrats. way to go on finding out about the resource & making the effort to follow-through with it, thanks for posting it here for others to now know about - either for present or future use, and enjoy.

B) melissa

thanks melissa for your words...i needed them.

i don't know what my problem is...but i need some perspective on things! i am currently blaming it on the 'no sleep' thing b/c usually i am pretty even-keeled and 'sunny'...so we will see!

hey, yes, you probably saw the link to the 'braire that serves your area for the LBPH. for instance, you it is a national/federal government thing, but you order books and go through the library that serves your city/area/town. so, for instance, i am served by the carnegie melon library and work with the librarians at the LBPH branch there and order books through them.

okay, back to my...guess what?...book on tape!

right now i am listening to fluff...carol higgins clark...called 'jinxed'...but i like it. B) just my speed.

em

Hey Emily..I've been thinking of all the books I wanted to suggests to you..I'll give you a couple here then I'll send you a PM when I get them all down!

I like all sorts of books..but recently I tend to go for the "fluff" and "funny" instead of cerebral stuff.

You should definately check out Janet Evanovich and her number series staring the character Stephanie Plum..they're a hoot..

You may also like Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series..it has vampires ect. but it's much lighter than say Anne Rice.

Okay..one more then I'll stop for now..have you ever read Jean Auel's prehistoric series?..Clan of the Cave Bear..Valley of Horses..ect? It's a great series and should be great on tape.

Alright..that's it for now..I'll send you more suggestions later if you want..and when you feel up to it send me some of your favorites..I'm always looking for a good book!

Take care :)

michele