float therapy

Just wanted to share this with forum members in case it may be a therapy that is useful for anyone.

I searched briefly and could not find research on the use of this therapy for dysautonomia, but it is used successfully (according to studies) to treat anxiety and depression and other ailments.  The therapy has been studied for decades.

Salt float therapy is gaining in popularity around the country, and we have a facility in my community.  I had not thought much about it, until I started having another flare up and at a friend's suggestion decided to try it.  I was a little nervous bc I wasn't sure what the warm water and weightlessness might do for my symptoms.  They do warn that the treatment lowers blood pressure.  In any case I went ahead and had one session a few days ago.  Basically you float in a warm (not hot) bath of Epsom salt--the temp is just at skin temperature, it's not a hot tub.  The feeling is amazing as it makes you completely relax, effortlessly.  In addition you can choose to turn off lights and relaxing music and experience a stimulus free hour of floating.  The sensory deprivation along with the relaxation is supposed to bring you effortlessly into a meditative state and deep relaxation.

For me, I did not notice a change in blood pressure that was problematic.  Did not feel dizzy etc afterwards.  I did have a feeling of calm and well being and felt very relaxed afterwards.  The next day, my POTS symptoms were greatly reduced, and this effect seemed to last over a couple of days.  I wonder if the Epsom salts helped, along with the intense relaxation?

I plan to continue to go once a week and see if I notice longer term benefits.  Studies show that many weeks of multiple treatments are needed to treat anxiety or depression successfully.

@MomtoGiuliana - thank you for sharing this interesting experience! I wish this therapy would be available where I live - I can totally see how it could help with the hyperstimulation of POTS! I myself have hyperadrenergic POTS, which - as you know - causes a constant state of "Fight-or-Flight" due to increased levels of adrenaline. When I am very symptomatic retreating to a quiet, dark room and lying down can help. Float therapy could very well help people who suffer from these symptoms! I truly think that once overstimulation is overcome it interrupts the faulty signals of the ANS - and it sounds like float-therapy can accomplish that! I hope that it continues to help you overcome your current flare! 😉

I hope there will be many people reporting their experience with this so people can gauge whether to try it. My sister and I did it a few months ago. She enjoyed it but I was not impressed. If anything I felt worse after. I also have hyperPOTS.

Again, I hope there are other responses to this so we can get more of a balanced idea of whether it helps some people and is worth trying. 

• 4 months later...

@RobinB - that is great!!! If there was one close to me I would totally give it a try, I can see how this could relax the ANS and help with our symptoms - please let us know how you do with it!!!!

• 2 years later...

Hi, never been here before, just found this while googling “float tanks POTS.” I’ve recently been diagnosed with POTS and so far floating has made the biggest difference in my symptoms, at least for 12-24 hours following the float… I feel almost normal. I too often have disturbingly low blood pressure but floating hasn’t seemed to exacerbate that, I think because it’s not too hot. I also make sure to hydrate with electrolytes afterward. It feels like floating takes all the pressure off of my nerves, joints, muscles & bones & allows my whole nervous system to integrate & reset. As a result afterward my energy levels are almost normal, pain is reduced, & blood pressure seems more balanced as well.

I’ve had symptoms for 4-5 months following a Covid infection. During this time I’ve floated 3 times and every time had these results. So it’s 3 for 3 now. I’m thinking of trying to go weekly.  

I’m glad to find discussion on this. 

Yeah, I've tried floating it is great.

It doesn't generate the rebound symptoms that you get from European-style dry sauna. Where the temperature is up over 180 degrees f. I was hitting the European Dry Sauna while I was in another country for work, and it was killing me. I would just laze around and go in-and-out of consciousness for the next day. Very relaxing, but not good at treating POTS symptoms, I guess.