Muscle stiffness becoming a regular problem now.

Shepard1

Since mid last year I have developed stiffness in my muscles/tendons after I have rested or after waking up in the morning.    I lead a very active lifestyle that also include stretching when exercising.  I walk 4-5 km 6 days a week with plenty of hill walking.   So by rights I should be quite fit and with stretches quite supple.

On standing it takes me a while to stand upright and moving forward I remain stooped for a step or two.  It is just not my lower back, my hips, knees ankles and Achilles tendons are stiff too.  Although it has been bothersome once moving the stiffness improves. 

I have as most of you, I ignored and moved on.  I tend to get fleeting new issues that come and go.   Recently I have experience neuropathy like symptoms where I get cold water sensation run down my back, splattered drops of water on my arms or legs.  EMG came back normal 2 years ago.

I had a scare last week after doing some work that required me to kneel a couple of times, it wasn't hard kneeling.  After about the tenth time I developed significant pain and weakness in both my quads muscles.   Both my quad muscles could not control my ability to control me to sit down,  I went plop.    I had to rock myself up or pull myself up from the chair.   When I went down some steps I was able to lock my knees quickly before they gave way.   This happen twice and terrified me.  Falling down steps does not appeal to me.   I did check my own

It took a couple of days for my quads to settle down, I needed to massage and stretch them.  I thought that over use of my quad's may have been the problem, but I have never in my all my years ever experienced such.  I did my own deep tendon reflex test all normal. 

Untitled.png.d805ac3418aa9932209017a5243831d9.png

I wondered if anyone could cast light or had experience with stiffness, short term muscle weakness, pain and cold water sensations (neuropathy).   I am not sure if I should just leave these issues until some more significant arises. 

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I am not sure if this issue is related to dysautonomia - have you checked with your doctor? And also - with no offense - could it be normal aging? I am not sure how old you are, I am 52 and have this stiffness every morning and if I kneel too long my legs hurt - and often I have trouble getting back up as well. In my case I am attributing it to the aging process. I would get checked by your doctor. 

Guest KiminOrlando

Have them do a full Rheumatology panel for bloodwork.  See if your ANA is positive.  This happened to me and eventually I was positive for lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. They call it Mixed Connective Tissue disease in me. Doesn't mean that is what you have, but it might be worth ruling out.

Guest KiminOrlando

It may need to be retested.... likely annually. Mine was negative the first couple of times, well, 'inconclusive'. Autoimmune and dysautonomia go together like peanutbutter and jelly. 

I hope there is a better explanation for your troubles though. 

Thanks @KiminOrlando , I will get the panels retested when I next see my doctor.    I am not sure that they will be happy for ongoing testing when negative.     Age could be a factor @Pistol, but Mum does not feel I should be stiff when I am so active.   She feels that I should be fit and mobile at my age especially with the amount of activity I do.

This stiffness came on about 8 months after diagnosis.