What now?!!? A fistula :-(

WinterSown

Dr Howzyerbutt sent me for a pelvic MRI series which I had done yesterday afternoon. The results with pictures were online today, their speed is amazing, and I got a nice gift blanket too. The opinion is Chronic Intersphincteric Serpiginous Perianal Fistula.  I have no idea how this is treated and only a vague idea about how it happened. I don't personally know anyone who has had a fistula. If anyone has been so unlucky could you please share your experience. I will call Monday to schedule a followup with the doctor but I hope to have some knowledge about it before the visit.

Thank you.

This is one doctor who is not part of the hospital group that does my D symptoms, but he has taken care of me for a few years. He's down the block from my cardiologists. I feel very yin and yang today. When I read the DX I was more happy that the confirmation was a confirmation of me being accurate in my descriptions. We all know that sometimes it's an uphill  battle to be believed. Fistulas are not cool so for now I'll enjoy the exhilaration of a diagnosis. 

Never give up, never surrender!

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

So sorry @WinterSown! I think that this condition would be treated by surgery - no? 

From what I've read so far yes, sigh. I've already had a sphincterotomy; getting a fissure four years ago (this very day!) was the first sign that something was horribly wrong with my body. The doctor is good surgeon who did not originally know anything about d'mia but he's been learning-- he said 'Trudi, you gotta lotta wrong with you.'  Despite the truth of it, it's nice to have someone care for me who understands the complexities of what d'mia does to your body.

39 minutes ago, MomtoGiuliana said:

So sorry!  It is good to know what is wrong/have a diagnosis.  I'm sorry you may have to have surgery.

Thank you. I hope to see the him on Thursday, probably will. In the meantime I see my DPT tomorrow and my EP on Wednesday--both already scheduled. I have to tell the two other doctors before I see Dr Howzyerbutt again. It's just so arrrrrggghh. :(