muscle pain & stiffness

gertie

Besides all the other symptoms of Dysautonomia I have developed  pain & stiffness in my arms & legs. It feels like I have over exercised but I have not.  I am in my 70's but have always been agile, done yoga, lifted weights but after this started I have more syncope, very tired.  I've been to PCP but blood test only shows inflammation.  I also have fibromyalgia.  Just wondering if it's old age or part of this illness?  Thanks.

Since I developed POTS I have been struggling with generalized joint pains. Arhtroscopy showed increased synovial tissue and xrays?MRI show degeneration of spine. Labs are negative for autoimmune or rheumatoid. There is swelling and pain in knees, ankles, elbows and fingers. I am 51 years old. Not sure if it is age or limited mobility or something related to dysautonomia. I take Turmeric and it works really well (I can't take NSAIDS due to stomach problems). 

Guest KiminOrlando

Could be small fiber neuropathy. I get pains from this different than fibromyalgia and different than my Rheumatoid Arthritis. My doc told me it often goes with dysautonomia. 

Thanks for replies!  My potassium is good. I think old age & lack of estrogen is a lot of my problem.  The only thing I can think of at 51 that slowed me down was the beginning of menopause. Kimin you really have a lot to deal with.  Good luck everybody!

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Since I developed POTS I have been struggling with generalized joint pains. Arhtroscopy showed increased synovial tissue and xrays?MRI show degeneration of spine. Labs are negative for autoimmune or rheumatoid. There is swelling and pain in knees, ankles, elbows and fingers. I am 51 years old. Not sure if it is age or limited mobility or something related to dysautonomia. I take Turmeric and it works really well (I can't take NSAIDS due to stomach problems). 

Have they checked for ankylosing spondylitis?

I'm 61. Dysautonomia is complicated enough but as we get older the symptoms of normal aging can mirror those of dysautonomia.  A recent neck doppler showed I have cervical radiculopathy which can radiate pain into your limbs. Physical therapy, aspirins, muscle relaxants and walking have been very helpful in giving me better range of motion and longer endurance. Fibro goes hand in hand with dysautonomia, I think especially more so as you age because there is age-related wear and tear on the body to add to your woes. I've added naprosin and to my pill boxes because when I take them regularly I control the pain better. Be well. 

@StayAtHomeMom yes, we suspect ankylosing spondylitis b/c I have lost the curve in my lower back. We might run the blood test for it but that often is false negative. There si no treatment for it anyway. Oh well! When I started with POTS in 2009 I went from a very active healthy person to being very limited, so I sort of aged over night then. The "normal" aging process - or other chronic conditions - do not scare me ay longer. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

@StayAtHomeMom yes, we suspect ankylosing spondylitis b/c I have lost the curve in my lower back. We might run the blood test for it but that often is false negative. There si no treatment for it anyway. Oh well! When I started with POTS in 2009 I went from a very active healthy person to being very limited, so I sort of aged over night then. The "normal" aging process - or other chronic conditions - do not scare me ay longer. 

It is autoimmune, so basic autoimmune treatments can help. Also PT and chiropractor. 

Have you seen a rheumatologist?  Is it the ESR that’s elevated?  A good rheumatologist will diagnose an autoimmune issue without a positive ANA.  I am 56 and was diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease after I developed full blown POTS although I was tested multiple times for AI for 30 years before.  When my AI flares I get lots of joint and muscle aches and pains.  When I started Plaquenil it helped quite a bit with the aches and pains.