Metoprolol ER vs Propanolol

DizzyGirls

My daughter saw a new cardiologist today, and, lo and behold, we actually liked him.  In addition, he actually knew something (quite a lot actually) about POTS.  I was amazed at how quick the appointment was, attributing that to the fact that I didn't have to do my POTS 101 with him first!  Yeah!  He wants to do and echo next week, just to make absolutely sure that there's nothing wrong with her heart.  I get that.  Assuming that's ok, he suggested possibly switching her from propranolol to metoprolol ER.  Her propanolol isn't working very well right now and she's either having adrenaline surges or her bp is bottoming out.  It's very undecided at the moment.  But, her hr last night, while resting, was 112.  That was ON propranolol.  Obviously it's not last as long as needs to and it took a bit last night (after her propranolol) to get it to finally calm down. 

My question is this:  has anyone gone from one to the other and what was your experience with it?  We are hoping for less fatigue, no stomach upset, and possibly not the weight gain with the metoprolol (it's so hard on her back full of titanium).  Annnd, most importantly, better control of her heart rate.  Thanks for your input!

I couldn't try propranolol due to my lungs, but I haven't had any of the side effects you mention with metoprolol succinate other than a little sleepiness-I take my routine dose at night so it's welcome. I'm only on 25mg which does take the edge off the tachycardia without lowering my BP any further. If I take another half tablet at another time of day (I'm prescribed to take up to 50mg daily as it does not last 24 hours for me, and if I'm not doing well my heart rate can still run high), I have more PVCs which is bothersome. Otherwise, I'd take another half tablet more often. Just my two cents-it has been very helpful to me. It has lessened the booming palpitations which lets me sleep a lot better (not well but better!). Hope this helps.

I have not tried propranolol ever but I did take Metoprolol. I took several other BB's as well. I have found that every so often a med - especially BB - is not working any longer and a switch to another one can make a big difference. Especially going to the ER version - it just gives a smoother day without the ups and downs of taking several pills 2 or 3 times a day. My doc gives me the extended release version of my meds - if they are available - for that reason.  ---- I tolerated Metoprolol well without problems and the fatigue was not too bad. I would try it - in my case there was a lot of trial and error before the right combo was created. 

I have taken propranolol. It effected my breathing. So more more of that one. Then I tried a calcium channel blocker. Then they put me on metoperlol tartrate. Recently I did a month of the metoprolol succinate (I assume is is the ER). The succinate didn't work as well as the tartrate but my body reacted the same. Currently I take 25mg. I have no bad reactions. I have gained a little weight over the last year but I don't think it is from the medication. I stopped taking it for a month and was still gaining. 

My metoperlol was my life saver. It keeps my heart rate down and helps a lot for heart palpitations. It has been slowly not working as well but it has taken over a year for that to happen. We have been discussing upping the dosage. 

Guest KiminOrlando

I take metoprolol extended release 50 mg. I was told to take it at night because it makes you tired. I've been on it for so long, I don't know if that is still true. I've been gaining weight steadily, so I can't attribute that to the beta blocker. Too many other variables. My resting heart rate is in the upper 90s on the BB. I never tried another BB because my POTS EP said this was the best one and went straight to it. 

My vote is that Metoprolol XL is certainly worth a try.  Hope it works for her.

Kim

I tried Metoprolol first, the lowest dose, and it knocked me right out. I was so tired all the time and it made my brain fog worse. I was switched to Propranolol and I had some sort of allergic reaction to it. Intense chest pains, hives, rashes, etc. 

That being said, it's definitely worth a try. We all seem to react a little bit differently to beta blockers so your daughter might do well on it. 

Good luck, wishing you guys the best.