Musings on brain involvement...

Echo

Hi all,

I was doing some reading and researching into the blood-brain barrier and it turns out there are two areas of the brain that are not protected by the blood-brain barrier. One of them is an area that produces spinal fluid and the other is a collection of areas called the "circumventricular organs". When you do a little more research into these areas it turns out most of them are areas that act on cardiac, blood and fluid regulation. E.g.:

Area postrema

Vascular organ of the lamina terminalis

Subfornical organ (SFO)

Subcommissural organ

Full info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumventricular_organs

So since these parts of the brain are not protected by the blood-brain barrier, I wonder whether this has any links to so many people coming down with POTS/dysautonomia after an illness or infection? I don't know whether any of this has any relevance but I thought it was a pretty big coincidence. 

Let me know what you think.

Best,

Echo

On 8/31/2018 at 2:57 PM, Help4healing said:

peter why did they put you on the BETA blockers in the first place.....what symptoms did you have BEFORE the beta blockers....cause I thought the BB were suppose to help the dysautonomia ?????

Firstly, I had not even the slightest symptom of any form of Dysautonomia in my entire life, my multiple symptoms all arrived the following morning after they put me on Bisoprolol beta blocker for Ventricular Tachycardia. They made me so ill that I cut my minimum does 1.25 tablets in half, none the less, I was still found at work, barely conscious, the nurse couldn't detect a pulse, she administered oxygen which made me feel OK but only raised my pulse to 42. They took me off beta blockers following that. That was 19 months ago, the symptoms have remained. 

As many here can attest to, the Autonomic Nervous System is a complicated and delicate system that is easily disrupted, beta blockers actually disrupt this system by blocking adrenaline receptors in it. My ANS never regained its equilibrium.

Here is a website of a company that makes medical equipment for the study of Autonomic Neuropathy, near the bottom of the page where it lists causes of Autonomic Neuropathy it states, " Causes of autonomic neuropathy may be related to numerous diseases/conditions, medications used to treat other diseases or procedures (such as surgery): .... The following are some examples: ...... Drugs that decrease sympathetic activity (sympatholytics): alpha and beta blockers (i.e. metoprolol) "

http://www.qhrv.com/dtr_ans_overview.htm