Heat wave

Anyone else get full body rashes and/or hives when the weather is really warm? I break out all over my chest, back and face. It's more just concerning to look at than anything, not itchy or raised and goes away once the cooler temperatures come back. 

I also get the typical dizziness, brain fog, palpitations and crushing fatigue during heat waves. 

Sitting my butt in front of a fan with a giant bottle of water today that's for sure!

This post was kind of funny. I was just thinking about posting something about the recent heat wave going on in the US. 

I have polymorphic light eruption (PMLE) and I get a very itchy rash everytime I get too much sun starting in the spring. This year was worse for some reason. It started on my face, disappeared there but appeared on my forearms, disappeared there and now it has appeared on my shoulders and collar bone area. I have been fighting it since April. 

If you can show a dermatologist they can biopsy and rule out some underlying things. Mostly autoimmune stuff. 

My POTS definitely flares in the heat. My family and I went to the 4th of July parade today and I had a very hard time functioning. I did it though and was very proud of my stubbornness. :)

I would add to your plans for today: lots of salt. It helps retain the water. I have even seen articles during my research that some people add salt to their water when they drink it. Personally I couldn't do that but then again I dip my French fries in salt when I am craving salt bad so I guess to each their own. 

Stay as cool as you can and lots of rest. 🎆

Back in my “normal” days I would get heat rash when I went to the tropics which sounds somewhat like you describing.  I got the diagnosis from my PCP and when I knew I was going to those places I would scrub with antibacterial soap, which I always hated because of resistant bacteria, for a month before my trip.  Worked great.

2 hours ago, p8d said:

Back in my “normal” days I would get heat rash when I went to the tropics which sounds somewhat like you describing.  I got the diagnosis from my PCP and when I knew I was going to those places I would scrub with antibacterial soap, which I always hated because of resistant bacteria, for a month before my trip.  Worked great.

I may have to try that next year. This is my 8th year I have had it. It should clear up in the next month or so and then it will start again next spring. What kills me the most though is I get enough sun. I smoke outside so I purposely sit in the sun all year round so I don't get it. But it still comes back. And my vitamins d is always low. 

Before dysautonomia I used to quite obese and in the summer would get prickly under my breasts. It only cleared up after I started taking my stick of Secret and applying it where I was chafing (under the fold, ehem) and I also must change my bras whenever they got soaked with perspiration. Anti-perspirant to t he rescue! I still do this everyday and I have not had prickly heat since I started.  Hope you all feel better, stay cool and dry.

Heat Rash

Yes, get overheated, a red rash, flushing, breathlessness and pain. Tower fan on, dunking feet in a bowl of cold water, iced drinks and when over 80f I wear a cooling vest with ice packs in it. Also have mildly warm showers with two minutes of cool water at the end. 

3 hours ago, TCP said:

Yes, get overheated, a red rash, flushing, breathlessness and pain. Tower fan on, dunking feet in a bowl of cold water, iced drinks and when over 80f I wear a cooling vest with ice packs in it. Also have mildly warm showers with two minutes of cool water at the end. 

Why dunk your feet in cold water? I know a cold wash cloth on your neck can bring your temp down but never heard of feet. 

Google it there's a lot of information about dunking your feet in cold water in order to cool down. I also have Small Fibre Neuropathy, so my feet burn all the time and placing them in cold water can bring real relief on a hot day. 

'Your feet are another one of your body's quick-cooling spots. So relax, and soak your feet in a bowl or tub of cold water in order to cool down fast.'

2 hours ago, TCP said:

Google it there's a lot of information about dunking your feet in cold water in order to cool down. I also have Small Fibre Neuropathy, so my feet burn all the time and placing them in cold water can bring real relief on a hot day. 

'Your feet are another one of your body's quick-cooling spots. So relax, and soak your feet in a bowl or tub of cold water in order to cool down fast.'

Very cool. I can't wait to try that!!

On 7/5/2018 at 9:27 PM, StayAtHomeMom said:

Why dunk your feet in cold water? I know a cold wash cloth on your neck can bring your temp down but never heard of feet. 

Take that damp washcloth and run it over your arms and legs. Your scalp can use some too. Do not dry off,  just evaporate. If you are in the wind of a fan then all the better. For a quickie I bend over the kitchen sink and use the sprayer to wet my scalp and neck. Kinda drippy but it's an instant cool down. I wear my hair in a short pixie because I need to cool down frequently and wetting my head is the fastest way to do that. 

4 hours ago, TCP said:

For those of us that have pooling, this would constrict the vessels in your legs and increase BP.  Normally I hated cold water, but putting my feet/legs in the cold ocean last week during the heatwave felt great.

2 hours ago, WinterSown said:

Take that damp washcloth and run it over your arms and legs. Your scalp can use some too. Do not dry off,  just evaporate. If you are in the wind of a fan then all the better. For a quickie I bend over the kitchen sink and use the sprayer to wet my scalp and neck. Kinda drippy but it's an instant cool down. I wear my hair in a short pixie because I need to cool down frequently and wetting my head is the fastest way to do that. 

I have recently decided to cut my off again. I have been growing it out because I missed my long hair but now after 4 years of it being long I am done again. I am going to use it as a reward for losing my first 10 lbs on my new diet. 

21 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

I have recently decided to cut my off again. I have been growing it out because I missed my long hair but now after 4 years of it being long I am done again. I am going to use it as a reward for losing my first 10 lbs on my new diet. 

I loved having long hair, it went up so easy in a bun, it looked so nice too. Now it's gel and a finger wave but I'm done in moments.