Chemicals in cosmetics

I am sorry--this is probably considered off-topic. My reason for deciding to share this is that most of us are female and many of us are highly sensitive to chemicals/medicines and I thought this new on-line database would be of interest.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

This might be one helpful tool in evaluating the safety of cosmetic products we choose to use. Unfortunately so little is understood about many of the chemicals approved to be put on our skin.

Besides being a database on information known or suspected about various cosmetic chemicals, 7,497 specific products are ranked for their safety.

Michelle if you have to eliminate this post, I understand!

Katherine

Katherine are we on track with each other this morning. I love reading these kinds of articles and it's something we need to get out in the open as in the years ahead it might explain a lot. And since Chemicals are one of the possibilities for Dysautonomia it's good to be well informed and it's still thought to be one of the major factors for Gulf War Syndrome.

Thank you for sharing this :(

katherine,

this is a really important topic...i am glad that you posted it.

i was talking to a hairdresser a while back who's daughter-in-law had celiac. she was still having problems...according to the hairdresser...there was GLUTEN IN HER MASCARA! and that was making her sick! imagine! it seems unbelievable, but know how super-sensitive my body is...so it is good to look at what's in everything we use!

anyway, i have to admit i am a bit bummed...i went to the site right away and couldn't find any mary kay products!!! i use this brand for almost everything that i have. i could pour over the ingredient lists of course, but was hoping that the site would have mary kay, as it is a popular brand (one of the best-selling in america)...bummer! i have tolerated their products really, really well and it's a compromise b/w the drugstore prices and the dep't store prices...hmmmmm...

thanks...you are keeping us on our toes!

emily

Thanks for the link, Katherine. I was just reading an article in Parents magazine about "Hidden poisons in your home," or something like that, and it talked about cosmetics, cleaners, etc. I have been trying to find some mostly natural products and this site was very helpful to me!

By the way, I was very surprised to learn that Johnson & Johnson Baby Wash might not be a good choice to use. I have always been a Dr. Bronner's fan for baby soap, but in a pinch I have used Johnson. Practically everyone uses this, though.

Amy

wow Katherine great site! thanks for entering it. lots of good but scary information that everyone needs to be aware of. I found the information on teflon very interesting especially that it stated dupont has known about it for over 50 years but just keeps right on making and selling it. lovely! kinda makes you think about all the strange illnesses that the public has that docs can not explain just might be a direct effect from all these scary chemicals that are in the food, water and more.

You're welcome all. It is definitely making me re-think some of my product choices--just to be on the safe side.

Emily--that is surprising that Mary Kay products aren't evaluated--they are popular.

calypso--I also use J&J products on my daughter. I used to use only Burt's Bees products--but they are of course much more expensive. After seeing how much better Burt's Bees rates with their products, I think I may go back to them exclusively. It is also a good company with ethical practices in general! Dr. Bronner's makes great products too.

sally--I agree the teflon issue is worrying. It is probably better to limit use of teflon in cooking. I do have non-stick pans, but use them infrequently as possible.

briarrose--I saw your posted article. I had also seen that yesterday and thought about posting it along with this--so yes we are working in concert! :(

Thanks Michelle--I am glad to know that this was ok to post!

Katherine

Steph,

I use Kiehl's moisturizer and lip balm. My lips and face would fall off without them. Kiehl's lists all of its ingredients right on the label, and I don't think there are many I can't pronounce or haven't heard of, so that's a good thing!

Amy

katherine -

thanks for the info. it's scary to think about all we can be exposed to without even realizing it. i'm too a burt's bees fan (who wishes i had a bit better budget). i haven't looked at the site yet but am planning on doing so as soon as i'm finished with my catch-up on the forum...which may be awhile! it's good timing as i'm just now feeling better enough to pull out the bit of make-up i wear.

:-)melissa

OMG sun! i just started pulling out make-up again for the first time in 7 months or so. that cracked me up! we are always on the same page.

still, all i've gotten to is a bit of cover-up and some blush. the thought of the rest is too much still...i used to be someone who always had her face 'done' no matter what and i enjoy playing with eye colors and stuff...aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh...maybe someday soon i'll feel up to it.

em