No AC at home :(

I just got off the phone with my power supply company, with whom I have a "worry free" contract for my central air conditioning and heat. HA! Worry-free my (insert any explitive here)!

They can't send anyone until tomorrow, even though I told them I'm disabled and cannot regulate my body temperature properly, and that no AC could lead me to have medical emergency. I was told that they were sorry, but it's first come first serve. You have to be kidding me that they've got nothing for people who have disabilities??? but the woman on the other end just said "tomorrow". GGrrrrrr.

I'm off to my basement, the only cool area of my home right now. How the (blank) am I supposed to get my homework done? I'm in full tachy right now and woozy. Grrrrrrrr.

Nina

Nina,

I am so sorry that you are without AC, that is rough!

Do you by chance have fans that you can run?

try wrapping a wet cold towel around your neck..

I know who you feel about not having AC, we just have one of those little window units in the bedroom, and the rest of the house is stiffling hot...

I hope that you find some relief tonight... and that your AC gets fixed asap..

good luck

I feel for you Nina. I would be at a loss without my AC in the summer. We have had a power outtage during a very hot time and I did manage to survive without getting sick by staying in the basement which was in the 70s.

The only thing I can think of for you to do is to go somewhere else until it is fixed. Once I spent an afternoon sitting in the waiting room of an emergency room. Not there for an emergency, just there for the cool air.

Michigan Jan

I just came upstairs to use the bathroom, get beverages and take my meds for the evening.

We have the fans on & all the lights off; at this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the morning when the sun comes up again ...but for now, the basement is cool, thank goodness. Our basement, however, doesn't have an exit, so it's not considered "living space".

Worst case, I'll sleep at my neighbor's house and/ or wait tomorrow at my neighbor's. Time's up in this heat... I'm already sweating again.

Nina

ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. if i could i'd come beat up the A/C folks for you. if i were home in baltimore it wouldn't be such a long trip but i'm in cleveland right now so there's no way i can make that trip. plus i'd probably pass out in the midst of my mighty punches. but if i could i would....seeing that i can't i'll just send lots of cool thoughts your way. hang in there & i hope they get their act together soon. i cannot believe they don't have any provision for health issues. or rather i can believe it but it drives me batty.

:-)melissa

Guest GayleP

Nina

OMG, I just went through the same thing. Our A/C went out on Monday late in the day. I called the company that installed it, told them I needed them to come out ASAP because I had health issues. They said they couldn't come out until Thursday or Friday. Then they said they could come out the next day but they were going to charge us double the amount.

To make along story short I was hot, grouchy and in no mood for their ****. I told them that if they didn't send someone the next day for the regular price I was going to raise****. I told them that I would make sure that everyone would know about what a crooked company they were and that I would go to all the news stations.

They finally agreed to come out the next day and not charge extra but didn't end up fixing it until today because we needed to replace our furnace. I must have sounded like a crazy woman to them but like you I can't handle being in house without A/C.

Make sure you keep hydrated. A cold towel or ice pack on the back of the neck will also help keep you cool.

Dear Mighty Mouse,

This is really bad news. I am so sorry. You might consider an age-old stop-gap measure - put your feet in a washpan of cool water. As the feet and head go, so goes the body. I'm not sure about the ramifications for POTS people, but this is helpful for some people with non-POTS bodies. My friend keeps cool this way, but then, she doesn't have POTS.

I hope you find some nice friend or neighbor who will put you up for the night.

Cathy

Hi Everyone. I slept in my basement...I guess that makes me a REAL mouse as opposed to a cartoon mouse. My spine is quite mad at me. And, I didn't get a lick of homework done last night. I have a short paper that I've worked out in my head, but I can't really do much about it until the ac it is on. all my reference material is our den on the 2nd floor of the house, which is an oven at present, and I can't spend enough time in there to find what I need. I have piles of stuff rather than "files" of stuff.

Thankfully, a very nice repairman rang my doorbell about an hour ago. He's still working on the system--and apparently somehow the central ac system ended up with a fried circuit board--he just went out to the shop to get a replacement board.

I really appreciate that all of you are here and coached me through this, along with giving me some good ideas. I have a little water mister that I got from the dollar store--and spray myself to get a little cool evaporation going on. Combined with being in front of the fan, I'm surviving.

:) Nina

And then there were two....

another repair man just arrived...still now air 3 hours into the repair visit, but maybe 2 fixit men are better than one???

Nina

LOL..

how many men does it take to repair an ac unit! I got a chuckle out of that.. hope that your AC in up and running soon... and that you are still in a cool house asap!

glad that you made it through the night!

Halleluja!!! The AC is on (at least for now). The two men "hotwired" it to bypass a broken relay; they ordered the 3rd new circuit board for overnight delivery and are hoping their wiring job will keep me cool til tomorrow am.

I did ask if they knew anything for special provisions for people who are disabled or for whom electric or ac going off could lead to a major medical emergency... they said they weren't aware of anything but told me next time, just work my way up the food chain until I get a satisfactory response. They were so nice too--they told me the put me listed for tomorrow as an "emergency". Nice to know there are still plenty of genuinely good souls out there. :)

Ah, now to jam out a 3 page paper in record time...need to have it emailed off to my prof by 3:30.

Nina

Oh, dear Nina. Did you check for centipedes before answering the door? It would be quite effective you know, to show him exactly how miserable it was. A cobweb in your hair, a centipede in your palm as you shook his hand.

Seriously, the heat, the cold, it is all so hard to take and our appliances are not just conveniences. Thanks for venting. Good for you for having the good sense to outline the paper in your head. A++++ -Deb

Morgan, you crack me up girlfriend. Sorry you don't have AC. They finally got the part for mine and are coming tomorrow to install it.

Nina

Hi Nina,

You have been without AC for 3 days. That must be very hard. We have a heat wave here and it's above 95F every day for the past 5 days. I hope everything goes well tomorrow and that your AC gets finally repaired.

Ernie