Does Melatonin Really Help You Sleep?

yogini

I take melatonin very often.  It's one of the few things that helps me sleep (or so I thought) and seemed like a better alternative to ambien.  I will be reading up on melatonin since seeing this article.  It has some side effects that I didn't know about.  I'm already nervous about taking supplements in general, because I don't there is enough research on them.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vitamins-supplements/does-melatonin-really-help-you-sleep/

Melatonin is a HUGE help for my daughter.  According to the article referred to above, it says that people only fall asleep 7 minutes faster than they normally would.  I don't know by whose standards they are referring, but they certainly didn't ask my daughter (or anyone like her) about how it affected her.  She is sleeping peacefully, most likely, a good 2 hours earlier than normal.  Melatonin has been a huge help for her severe pain surges at night.  As any responsible person should, always check drug interactions based on what you are taking and the melatonin.  If you are little groggy the next day (as I am sometimes when I used to take it), have a cup of coffee before venturing out in a car. 

I agree melatonin helps me sleep better and since I started it, I've barely needed ambien.  So I was surprised by this study. It just reminded me of my personal general discomfort with taking natural substances, which aren't tested, studied or regulated like medications.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3999238/

I found that melatonin helps me with sleep and POTS. Beta blockers and other drugs suppress melatonin secretion, as does bright light at night. I've seen an article that states many POTS patients also have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (circadian rhythm disorder) but I am unsure where they get that info.