Best POTS/Dysautonomia Books?

Hi Mistri,

Here is a link to a free ebook by Dr David Goldstein that you might find useful: https://neuroscience.nih.gov/publications/Principles of Autonomic Medicine v. 2.1.pdf

I also have some other text books. Some people would find them a bit more academic than they would like, and some of them are expensive if you can't find a cheaper second hand copy that delivers to your country, but here are some titles that you might like to look up. If you live in the US, and maybe in Canada, you would have a better chance of getting a cheaper copy of the more expensive ones on Amazon. I got one of my books second hand in 'Very Good' condition and the book that arrived is in very good condition, but many of the third party sellers on Amazon for that book didn't deliver to Australia.

Clinical Autonomic Disorders, edited by Phillip A. Low
Autonomic Neurology, by Eduardo E. Benarroch (with others)
Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System, edited by Robertson, Biaggioni, Burnstock, Low & Paton
Autonomic Disorders: A Case-Based Approach, by Paola Sandroni & Phillip A. Low

You can browse the beginnings of these books on Amazon, including detailed contents pages. If any of them look like what you're after and you have any further questions, I might be able to answer your questions.

If you're after something more like tips and advice for a general readership about managing and living with POTS/Dysautonomia, maybe someone else has some less-academic book suggestions for that.

The Dysautonomia Project book explains a lot and is set up for you AND your physician as well as family members. You can get it on amazon or on thedysautonomiaproject.com website.

20 hours ago, Steven said:

Hi Mistri,

Here is a link to a free ebook by Dr David Goldstein that you might find useful: https://neuroscience.nih.gov/publications/Principles of Autonomic Medicine v. 2.1.pdf

I also have some other text books. Some people would find them a bit more academic than they would like, and some of them are expensive if you can't find a cheaper second hand copy that delivers to your country, but here are some titles that you might like to look up. If you live in the US, and maybe in Canada, you would have a better chance of getting a cheaper copy of the more expensive ones on Amazon. I got one of my books second hand in 'Very Good' condition and the book that arrived is in very good condition, but many of the third party sellers on Amazon for that book didn't deliver to Australia.

Clinical Autonomic Disorders, edited by Phillip A. Low
Autonomic Neurology, by Eduardo E. Benarroch (with others)
Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System, edited by Robertson, Biaggioni, Burnstock, Low & Paton
Autonomic Disorders: A Case-Based Approach, by Paola Sandroni & Phillip A. Low

You can browse the beginnings of these books on Amazon, including detailed contents pages. If any of them look like what you're after and you have any further questions, I might be able to answer your questions.

If you're after something more like tips and advice for a general readership about managing and living with POTS/Dysautonomia, maybe someone else has some less-academic book suggestions for that.

Oh @Steven, you have no idea what a nerd I am.  :lol:  I definitely appreciate a good academic read.   Admittedly, brain fog makes it a little harder to concentrate on what I'm reading than it used to be (and clinical depression doesn't help).   However, books that have been written for the general consumer often leave out some of the information.  It would be ideal to have an easy read as well as something more detailed for when I'm feeling studious. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I am in the U.S., so it should be easier to obtain one or more of those books than it is for you.  I'm sorry your access to things like that is more limited.

15 hours ago, Pistol said:

The Dysautonomia Project book explains a lot and is set up for you AND your physician as well as family members. You can get it on amazon or on thedysautonomiaproject.com website.

Thanks, @Pistol!!  That is one I will check into as well.  I wonder if doctors actually read the books their patients bring them.  I think maybe my primary care doc would, but not sure about that.  I highly doubt my family members would take it upon themselves to read any of the books either.  Kind of a bummer. 

2 hours ago, Mistri_The_Squirrel said:

Oh @Steven, you have no idea what a nerd I am.  :lol:  I definitely appreciate a good academic read.

That's good. I prefer academically rigorous books, medical journal articles and talks from the people actually doing the medical research, and diagnosing and treating patients. Books considered 'accessible and reader-friendly' rely on medical info from those sources anyway, so I like to get it first-hand.

I find that when reading text books is not working because of brain fog or other symptoms YouTube videos can be good, such as talks at medical conferences or medical school lectures. There are also 'accessible and viewer-friendly' YouTube videos that might be more suitable for sharing with people who wouldn't read a book, article or written forum discussion.

I think you'll find the best information online.  The books written on this topic might be out of date.  This is a good website, and so is Dysautonomia International.  It is so important for patients to be informed and you're doing a smart thing by reading up.  It is much easier to think through this condition when you understand what's going on with your body and the different treatments.