TENS unit for pain

yogini

Has anyone ever tried a TENS unit to help with their pain?  I have a ton of neck/shoulder/coat hanger pain.  You can buy a TENS unit on Amazon for like $25, and they also have more expensive models, but even cheap ones have very good ratings. Wondering if these are worth it and which brands/models?

I have had TENS in the doctor's office when I went to physical therapy years ago for my shoulder and it helped..

I use one and it helps quite a bit while it's in use and shortly afterwards. You can't use it very high up your neck, but particularly for my shoulders, it had helped a lot. My unit was prescribed through PT so it was covered through my insurance. There are few drawbacks except for wearing it out of the house and moving electrodes accidentally. Sometimes I tape them in place. I cannot take NSAIDs so I really appreciate having my TENS.

I use a traditional TENS unit for specific localized pain like neck and coat hanger, but I bought a Quell unit to try and minimize my fibromyalgia pain.  It expensive, but they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

its been clinically tested and will provide some relief in 80% of patients.  I guess I’m in that 80%.

Alex

On 10/1/2017 at 7:12 PM, RecipeForDisaster said:

I use one and it helps quite a bit while it's in use and shortly afterwards. You can't use it very high up your neck, but particularly for my shoulders, it had helped a lot. My unit was prescribed through PT so it was covered through my insurance. There are few drawbacks except for wearing it out of the house and moving electrodes accidentally. Sometimes I tape them in place. I cannot take NSAIDs so I really appreciate having my TENS.

Thanks so much for the reply.   Glad to know it helps. Which brand is your machine and about how much did you spend for it?  I'm glad you told me about the neck as I was planning to use it there...but also on my shoulders.

On 2-10-2017 at 1:47 AM, Alex D. said:

I use a traditional TENS unit for specific localized pain like neck and coat hanger, but I bought a Quell unit to try and minimize my fibromyalgia pain.  It expensive, but they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

its been clinically tested and will provide some relief in 80% of patients.  I guess I’m in that 80%.

Alex

Hi Alex,  I see that the Quell is about $250.  I am going to start with one of the more affordable versions.  I'm thinking Healthmate Forever brand.  I have a gift certificate to Amazon and have been thinking about home TENS for a while so I figured this would be a good chance to try it.  

If the first machine works and I feel like I need something more, I will go for the Quell.  I have trigger points around my neck and shoulders, not fibromyalgia, so I hope that the cheap version will do the trick, lol!

I also have used a TENS unit for scapula area back pain, with success. My husband ordered for me I think on amazon, so not an expensive model. The main draw back for me is it is difficult to place the electrodes myself, much easier if someone can help, and I like to use it mostly when resting so I am not moving around with the wires getting in the way. Hope it brings you some relief:)

Hi all. I ordered the Healthmate Forever brand, a mid-priced model, for around $50 or $60 from Amazon.  The first couple of times I used it I felt like it made me dizzy, but probably just me being paranoid.  Anyway the dizziness is gone now.

There are maybe 15 or 20 levels of intensity - but I need to start off slow because I can't tolerate the higher levels yet.  I think I will increase the intensity over time as I get used to it.  I do like it already and my shoulders are feeling looser already even at the lower level.  I use a heating pad or heated pillow, do yoga, and self-massage and this works in a way that all of those other treatments haven't.  So I think this was a really good purchase for me - can't wait to see what happens when I can use the higher levels - and wish I'd thought of this years ago!  

Edited by yogini