Acclimating rather than avoiding summer heat?

Last October my apartment complex moved me to a temporary apartment while they were getting ready for the renovations. The temp apartment did not have working AC. It is on the 3rd floor and was hot even through our mild winter. By early May I could not handle it anymore. The heat was so bad I could not cook... or even function while I was at home. I would look forward to my days at work. My cardiologist was kind enough to write a note so my apartment complex would fix the AC. I have noticed a drastic improvement of my symptoms. My manager is kind of pissed but I didn't know what else to do. I had fans blowing, and a tiny cheap window unit was not cutting it. I have found AC is a nessecity for me. I can handle a little heat for a limited time, I just have to keep an eye on my heart rate. But since they fixed my AC my heart rate jumps less, my irritation, hot flashes, headaches, and even brain fog is less. It is so nice.

We can relate with StayAtHomeMom!  The heat for my girls is horrible!  The temp here is usually very tolerable, not usually too hot or too cold.  It doesn't snow here.  But, we've had more extremes this year and have had temps in the 90's quite a few times since March.  A little unusual and it just makes them ill.  We have AC and it has to be running until late at night, especially for my youngest.  The side affects of the heat are endless.  Fortunately, this year is one of those anomalies, but still trying to keep cool while it's here now.  My youngest usually does well in the heat, but I think we've had a little bit more humidity this year than is normal for us.  So, it's not something they can acclimate to.  Sure wish it was, but maybe it's possible for you! :D

I will try!  

I had a really good day.  I woke up to 45 bpm pulse.  Seems like the lower my resting heart rate, the less dizzy and fatigue I have during the day.  When I wake up with 70 bpm pulse it's going to be a very bad day.  Anyway, temperature was 85 degrees today.  I was able to scrub my deck in the shade.  I got quite a lot done before getting dizzy.  Later I sheared 2 sheep with my husband holding them. The barn is cooler, but it's hot work.  I had to stop a couple times when getting dizzy.  I'm learning to accept tachycardia but set my boundary at dizziness with vision disturbance.  I was in bed 6 times today and didn't dare go out in the sunshine midday.

It depends on the temp, below 75 in the shade I am ok for at least 45 minutes. Direct sun or above 75 is about 15 minutes before I start noticing my symptoms getting worse. We had a mild winter here which sucked but it started hitting 70 outside by April. I think it is gonna be a really hot summer. I am stoked my AC got fixed. I can enjoy home life a little more and try to do more, like cook an actual meal instead of microwaving it. I noticed now that I can get away from the heat I can manage more time in the heat. Before the AC got fixed it was more like 5-15 once the temp got above 70. Even in my house.

That sounds reasonable, but also seems like you're in a warmer climate.  We're about 35 degree average in April.

I can deal in summer, worst case is I turn the AC on and the garden gets weedy.  But what really worries me is August when I start canning.  It's HOT.  Terribly hot.  I used to cook down several batches of tomato sauce.  It takes 14 hours per pot!  And if I neglect it I'd scorch it and ruin the whole batch.  I was VERY unwell during tomato canning, and "stir-crazy" takes on a whole new meaning!

I got an electric canner I can run outside on the deck and I took DH that I'm not cooking down tomato puree this year.  We'll do crushed tomatoes instead. I think giving up on tomato puree so I'm not standing at the stove, and being able to can outdoors in the shade where it's cooler will help.  I'm still worried about getting through August!

I want/need to collect data in heat and compare to my earlier results.  I collected data on walking from the garden to the house (my nemesis) in 55 degree weather during a flare-up.  I want to compare.  Walking between house and garden is enough to keep me out of the garden.  I'll have enough energy to weed, but walking up that hill in the heat is just not happening.  Last year I had a POTS flare in August and it was awful.

It sounds like you live in heaven (or we are using different temperature scales mine is Fahrenheit) My mom recently moved to colder weather and I am a teeny bit jealous. She is able to enjoy outdoors more. When I talk about being outside I am not doing anything, usually reading a book. Just so I can be outside and stop staring at the same 4 walls.

(((hug)))

-20 degrees F in winter is no fun.  I have difficulty in winter and my POTS flares because I'm inactive and get deconditioned.  My circulation shuts down and I have pain from the cold.  Especially touching cold wet things - inevitable when taking care of barn animals. I had to give up rabbit breeding due to my difficulty with their care in winter. :( I need to move to a different climate too.

Hmmm... that is interesting. I wonder if my body would have a hard time in the cold then. Like I said this winter was mild here. I think it barely got to freezing and we had a dusting of snow once. I hope you can figure out something, it sounds like you enjoy being outside. Have you looked into cooling vests?

I'm sorry to invade this thread with a question that isn't about the heat, but the light! I just don't know what search keywords to use to find out if this has been discussed before. My husband keeps asking if it's a POTS thing that he feels "better" in bright sunlight than on a cloudy day? Since we're in Finland, heat is not the issue, sunny days are rarely hot. My experience says that our mood might be better on a sunny day, more serotonin thanks to the light and such, but if anyone has any "medical" knowledge on POTS + sunlight, I'd be happy to hear.

On the topic then, my husband has to avoid heat, before we knew about POTS, he tried to enjoy the sun like he used to, and always he had to return indoors feeling unwell after a few minutes. We couln't understand it. Now we do, he avoids direct sunshine, overheating and enjoys the light from the shade. We used to hope for hot summers (rarities here), but not anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I have definitely not been able to "acclimate" to summer heat, I just have to avoid it. I am currently living in Texas without A/C (only for another week when we move!), and it is miserable. It's been pretty consistently in the 90s since June began, and it gets over 100 pretty often in the July/August months. I have to sit in front of a fan constantly, or I get quite sick and unable to function. However, my body also responds terribly to the cold. My joints do not like the cold at all, so I honestly find that I have to be inside during both extremes.

I've managed to partially acclimate, to the point where I can stand low to mid 30s (90s F) for short amounts of time. Before, I could barely stand anything over 25 (75 F). It hasn't helped much though. The temperature swings pretty wildly here, sometimes 40 degrees Celcius in one day, and it quite warm too: not infrequently going into the 40s (100s F). Last year, I was more successful and could manage the 30s (90s F) ok. 

I always carry frozen water bottles, some sort of electrolyte drink, water and high-salt snacks. It helps, but for all that and the partial acclimatization, I'm still hopping from air conditioned building to air conditioned building for most of the summer.

I also have issues with cold, but they're pretty mild in comparison. Even when the temperature goes to -40, enough layers make it manageable.

Finnmin, is your husband's sunnny/cloudy problem worse in winter?  If so, he might be susceptible to winter depression, aka seasonal affective disorder.  For me, being out in bright sunlight makes me feel terrible, POTS-wise, even if its not too hot out.  But then, I live at about 39 degrees North latitude.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on vacation in southern U.S. where temps were 90 to 95 degrees during the day. Hotels and restaurants were overly air conditioned. I was cold indoors and wore a sweater. 

I noticed sudden heat intolerance. I would feel fine in the car. Then open the door to get and immediately feel dizzy and nauseated - even before standing. We'd go into a restaurant and I'd be too sick to eat and have testing pulse 70 to 80. Usually 50 to 60. By the time my family was done eating my body would have had time to regulate and my nausea would be resolved enough I could eat. Frustrating!

Now that we're home, I'm still struggling with heat. We have the air conditioning on and I'm turning it up one degree every few hours to begin to adjust to normal indoor summer temperatures.

I am surprised how badly and how quickly air conditioning affects me. My body doesn't seem to be tolerant of changes in temperature such as created by indoor a.c. in summer.

Today I saw a woman with a fan attached to her neck, it constantly blew air up at her face which I'm sure helped her. I just moved to WA from AK so the weather has been a bit much. I can't be outside in direct sunlight or I flare immediately. I make my trips short outside and park as close as possible and also have handicap parking to help as well. I wear loose white clothing and flip flops and leave the house with my hair wet usually too. I carry around cold water too, really any bit helps.

I have one of those fans. My daughter has cyclic vomiting syndrome and is very heat intolerant. She has a misting fan she likes. I also carry a frozen water bottle to work and running errands. I'm cold and heat intolerant. My worst thing is probably the middle of a hot summer and going to the mall so my body has to ping-pong between every store's different ac temps, plus the hot and cold between the car and outside. The refrigerated aisles at the grocery store do the same thing. After a certain number of temp changes, my body can't handle it anymore, and I get horrible symptoms.

Last year I was very heat intolerant but have worked out a better plan this year. I wanted to garden a little more, besides just tomatoes, and so I have been working at this. Now that it is July, I get up early-7:30-8am and get out there before it is above 85, some days I can manage 20-30 minutes (other a lot less) then go inside to hydrate and cool down. Once it is >85F I wear a wet towel around my neck and only work in shady areas and some days I can do 15-20 minutes....it is worth it to me because in March I started this process and was very mindful of the temperature every day and worked only when temps were under 80 in the beginning, but able to be out longer-especially on my knees-sitting on my feet (best position for me symptom wise). Now that the garden is established,  I weed or water/fertilize in early am or later in evening-after 7pm for short periods. And it works. But each of my days is carefully managed, time and temp wise. I have cooling vest, headband,wristbands and scarf to keep me cool when getting into a hot car-the worst feeling and symptoms- before air conditioning kicks in, and they are very helpful here in NC. I am still more fatigued at end of these days versus days I don't garden but I feel accomplished and able to enjoy the flowers.

Hope this helps

PS-is mid 90's most days now in afternoons here in NC (Raleigh/Durham/RTP area)

Debbie

I have acvlimated to the sweltering heat in Louisiana.  Compared to freexing North Dakota.  However it took 2 years and i still limit my outvdoor times.  Now 80 degrees is very cool and 98 is still cool compared to the 105-110 temps we get in August.  I only sweat on my face and neck so its hard to gauge until its too late my adaptability on that day.

I do NOT attempt to acclimate myself if it's beyond 80degrees. My husband wants to go outside and weed MID-DAY sometimes. I just give him "the look". The "you are out of your mind do you really think I'm going to weed in 103 degree weather at over 5000 elevation" look. 

So no. But then again I live in the desert. There is no acclimating yourself here. I imagine that if I lived in Montana, Minnesota, etc. I would attempt it, yes. 

My attempts seem to only work below 90 degrees.  We had a 95 degree day.  I spent it in bed with my legs up, compression garment on, a/c on.  The temperature dipped to 55 that night and I felt fantastic that night.   Trying to acclimate to the heat is exhausting.  I want to believe it's possible, but by now I just want to curl up and sleep through the heat of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my idea to get up at 7:30am to do some yard work is no longer a good plan....even though the night temps are in the mid 70's there is moderate humidity that persists making it feel much hotter. Luckily except for deep watering every 3 days IF there is no rain, there is little else to do.  It is a bit better in late evening if there is a breeze. But its not yet August.!! We have had 97-98 degrees days for days in a row for weeks now. And the humidity is not at its peak yet. In August we get 80-90% humidity compared to 50-60% now.

Yikes!! This saturday we have a reprieve of 84 degrees and so I have a day or 2 to put in my micro-irrigation system that waters each plant individually (not the entire area) so no weeds to pull. So then, my summer will be even less heat stressed

Debbie

On 6/3/2017 at 9:42 PM, BuffRockChick said:

We're getting the first summer temperatures and I'm finding myself torn between embracing the heat and letting myself acclimate to it versus avoiding heat and the more intense (uncomfortable but not harmful) POTS symptoms.

Has anyone successfully acclimated to hot temperatures? 

I've found that dry heat is easier to deal with than humidity + heat.  Feel worse in 75 degree weather with 70% humidity than in the desert with 115 degree heat and 0 humidity.  Am planning on moving year after next for this sole reason to either Utah or Nevada.