How many hours of sleep?

cmreber

Hello all!

i have never been a morning person, but since the POTS diagnoses, I have been even worse. I know a lot of us have issues with the morning. I just was wondering how many hours of sleep everyone feels like they need? All of the people in my life seem to function just fine on 6-8, and then they are up, doing whatever, even on the weekends. Meanwhile, it seems like I need an average of at least 9, if not more! I suffer from insomnia, but even when I don't, it seems like I can even sleep 12 hours and not feel like it's enough. Just curious if anyone else is the same? 

I find I need 8-9 hours to feel well yet I also can at times have severe insomnia.  When I was younger I needed even more sleep -- even into my 20's.  I really struggled with sleepiness if I didn't get 9 hours, and more on the weekends!  Frustrating.  I think in general women need more sleep than men and it is not unusual for someone to need up to 9 hours.  I think hypersomnia is defined by needing more than 10 hours of sleep, particularly if still sleepy after that much sleep.

Guest KiminOrlando

I need 10 hours and I usually can't fall asleep before 2. I can nap at 8 pm, but if I go to bed, I wake up after an hour or so and am up until 2 or 3. If I am sick, I need way more sleep. I have problems with mornings because of this and because my cortisol level is very low in the morning. Even if I try to power through and get up early to be somewhere by 8, I am not functional the rest of the day. I plan my days so that I don't put my body through the stress of trying to do mornings. So far no med has changed that. It would be nice if they found one.

Kim

MomtoGiuliana, I used to be okay on around 5 hours a night, but that was before the POTS.  Mornings have never been easy for me, but now I can barely function!  I'm sorry you struggle with needing sleep too, and it's interesting it was even more so when you were younger.  It can be so frustrating when the rest of the world keeps going, and no one understands why you can't get out of bed to join them!  I've never heard of hypesomnia though, I definitely will look it up!  That sounds about like me!

Stephanieann, I'm sure kids will "help" you get used to less sleep lol!  Very interesting it has changed for you, and glad you can keep up with the kiddos! :D

yogini, I know what you mean! It was really bad for me in the beginning, and it tends to go in cycles for me.  Sometimes I can get by with normal amounts of sleep, and other times I just cannot get out of bed!  I did recently have a surgery, so I'm sure my poor body is still recovering now, but it seems like any little thing that throws my body out of wack makes it that much more difficult!

Kim, You sound a LOT like me! I have such a hard time getting to bed, and an even harder time getting OUT!  I have never tested my AM cortisol levels, but I've always wondered if mine were off, just because mornings are so much harder than normal people--even my "non morning" friends.  Oh man, I know how you feel about anything 8:00 or before.  I am a complete wreck by 3!  Fortunately, I work for myself, so it is easier for me to set my own hours as well, it just gets super frustrating from time to time when everyone else is up and starting their days!  I would LOVE to find a medication to help!  I hope someday we might, because I totally feel for you!  

Thank you for all the replies everyone!!!! xoxoxo!

• 2 weeks later...