What increased your sensitivity to meds?

JoeJack101

I became sensitive when this illness began. I was not sensitive before that time. I don't understand why and it has not been explained to me. Not only sensitive but different responses. For example:  benedryl used to make me very sleepy..later it didn't at all. For migraine I could tolerate morphine..now it tanks my BP. I would not even notice taking a vitamin etc...now at times I feel so strange I would wish I had never taken it. I am very scared of medications now :(.

I started sensitivities,  allergies and I tolerances after glandular fever.  I also developed IBS at the same time. My list of drugs I couldn't take has  lengthened over the years.  Everything got gradually worse as POTS symptoms worsened,  as did neuropathic pain,  flushing etc.  Everything reached a point where I was desperate for help after the cardiologist gave me Propranolol and I felt truly dreadful.  I think that triggered something and now I'm pretty sure it's mast cell activation, as all foods high in histamine gave me the worst reactions.  I checked all my symptoms against Yasmina Ykelenstam's and I pretty much had all of them. I eliminated high histamine foods,  but not all as some are healing,  nutritious and anti-inflammatory. I can now eat stuff that was off the menu and I'm waiting to see how much it helps in the longer term.  

I wouldn't discount any other conditions as I have had many diagnoses over the years and most are ones that I would have discounted ten years ago. 

Many people with POTS are sensitive.  It could be caused by POTS itself or another co-condition you have. It's different for every person.  I don't have any co-conditions but even I had challenges with taking medicine. I agree with what statesof says. I'm not sure of the medical explanation but POTS itself makes you hypersensitive. Also when you are worn down, tired, dizzy, nauseous all the time, things take much more toll on your body than they normally would.

Yes, some people may POTS and no other conditions, as I once discounted anything but my initial (incorrect) diagnosis of ME/CFS. In recent times I have been diagnosed with EDS and POTS and who would have thunk it! It came as a complete shock, but now everything is falling into place and I am understanding so much more.