Keeping a BP Diary

Hi, new to this.I have vasovagel presyncope , I still have sudden events and can't explain a trigger.Wondered if a bp diary would help and when is the best times to monitor- am as I wake up flat or sitting or standing and evening laying down or sitting etc . Advice would be great .Thanks

Hi Latte girl 

I have POTS w severe vasodepression, neuro cardiogenic syncope, low blood pressure (OH-Orthostatic Hypotension) - all stuff that makes you dizzy and presyncopal or syncopal.

what I did is created a BP log on the computer with the date, time, BP, HR and a line to indicate seated, standing, lying down or any other notes for example 'started xyz new med'. Then I started checking randomly and also when I felt symptomatic. When I see my dr I bring this log with me and it can provide good information for them.

It's important to have an accurate monitor and do the readings correctly. You may even want to bring your BP cuff to the dr with you to check it against theirs. Also, don't check your BP lying on your side - it will give a lower reading. If you are in bed you have to be laying flat on your back.

Good luck ! ?

Guest ANCY

I use a bp diary app on my phone. I record at least 3 x a day and my cardiologist finds this information very helpful. He likes to know what is going on other than the 1 minute when they take bp in his office. I can record bp, heart rate, time, location of reading, posture, and a note with any pertinent information. 

Yes, I wrote mine in a notebook 3x/day.  Morning after lunch and evening.  Write down the BP and the time. If you do it for  month or 2, you will see a pattern.  Make sure you have an accurate BP monitor and that you read the instructions - have to be still etc otherwise BP gets screwed up.