Stress

Does stress make dysautnomia flare? My dog is really sick. She is 15. My parents and I have been worried about her all morning. They are a the vet now and she has a severe infection and may have to stay overnight. Took off work. The stress is making me feel sick. I have been crying all morning because we were worried about having to put her down but they took her to a different vet and they are going to try to aggressively treat the infection first. I have been so stressed this whole day. I always don't feel good when stressed and crying always makes me feel worse. I have been having G.I. issues with the stress too. and just feeling very exhausted from crying so much. So exhausted!  I have never experienced this much stress in one day. Does anyone else get like this? What helps you feel better? 

Hi there,

I haven't been on the forum for a few years but I wanted to answer your question because I am going through the same thing right now.  YES stress doesn't just make dysautonomia worse, it can actually cause it.  This is what happened to me years ago.  But recently I have been having symptoms again since my husband passed away last October.  I was doing real well until recently, so it is scary.  I also have orthostatic hypotension so I know how that feels.  I practice yoga which has been extremely helpful but I still felt weak and out of it.  I increased the salt in my water and it is helping.  Please accept my sympathy about your pup, I am a retired vet tech.  Our dogs don't usually outlive us, that is what is hard about having a dog.  But 15 is a long life for most dogs.  We need to accept life as it naturally unfolds.  I am sending you hugs for a good outcome for your sweet dog, and I wish the best for you.

Marsha

Yes for me stress can cause a big flare. I also am experiencing a relapse and even though I solved some of the issues causing the stress my body now is stuck in that pattern. I imagine it will take me several weeks to start feeling myself again. Try to limit stress if you can and give yourself time to regroup. 

Stress will make you feel more unwell and if too bad bring on a relapse. For me, this is where meditation has really helped calm my mind. I'm sorry you are going through a bad patch, but things will get better. I can barely remember over the years all the times I have stressed over life's events and made myself very ill. I work at stopping myself from getting that bad. Even listening to some relaxation music, lying down and concentrating on your breathing can help wonders. 

Take care.