Bp Drop Before Period

Amalia01

Has anyone with POTS experienced a decrease in blood pressure starting about a week before your period begins? My neurologist said she had not heard of this before and recommended possibly starting birth control. I am hesitant to begin a new pill without knowing whether this is common with POTS or indicative of something else going on.

Hi Amalia!

There have been quite a few discussions on this in the past actually. I personally don't notice a difference in BP changes before my period, but I get really sick during my period. (maybe blood loss?) Please check out this past thread if you are considering BC: http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/26812-symptoms-during-period/

I am not sure if mine goes low or not but I always feel ten times worse before and during my period. I get so lightheaded around that time. And cute dog by the way! Is it a bichon frise?

I also don't know if it's a blood pressure drop or just a hormone thing, but my teenage daughters have had such a rough time with their periods (before, during, and a couple days after) that their OB/GYN has put one on the Depo-Provera shot and the other one on a continuous Lo-Estrin (a low estrogen) bc pill. Hoping a second Depo shot will help stabilize things a bit, but the daughter on the pills is doing much better as far as that aspect of her condition is concerned.

Katie,

Thanks for the info! I'll relay it to my daughter, it may give her some hope! She goes in a couple of weeks for the second shot. We have to stick with this as we have no other options (severe migrains prevent her from using the pills) and her periods and autonomic symptoms are too severe without. Spring has hit out here (SF Bay Area) full force and she has been feeling downright miserable. She's also fighting a yeast infection that she's had for almost four months.

I have a significant drop in bp as well as worsening of other symptoms usually about 3 days prior and through the duration of my period. My Dr wants me to start birth control but I really don't want too...

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, DizzyGirls said:

Katie,

Thanks for the info! I'll relay it to my daughter, it may give her some hope! She goes in a couple of weeks for the second shot. We have to stick with this as we have no other options (severe migrains prevent her from using the pills) and her periods and autonomic symptoms are too severe without. Spring has hit out here (SF Bay Area) full force and she has been feeling downright miserable. She's also fighting a yeast infection that she's had for almost four months.

DizzyGirls, 

How is your daughter doing on the depo shots?

Hi Amalia!

My daughter had her second shot a couple of weeks ago and has been doing well, as far as the shot goes.  She still is having a horrible time with yeast and uti infections (going round and round) and is seeing an OB/GYN this week at UCSF.  The shot settled down her hormones for a couple of weeks.  Not sure for how long as with this yeast infection she is also having a fever and we aren't sure what is causing what.  I'll keep you updated!  So far so good on the shot, but sure wish we could get everything else to settle down!

11 hours ago, DizzyGirls said:

Hi Amalia!

My daughter had her second shot a couple of weeks ago and has been doing well, as far as the shot goes.  She still is having a horrible time with yeast and uti infections (going round and round) and is seeing an OB/GYN this week at UCSF.  The shot settled down her hormones for a couple of weeks.  Not sure for how long as with this yeast infection she is also having a fever and we aren't sure what is causing what.  I'll keep you updated!  So far so good on the shot, but sure wish we could get everything else to settle down!

That's terrible. Your poor daughter must be beside herself. I hope things get resolved soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never checked my BP leading up to my period, but now that I'm tracking my heart rate I've noticed that gets way more reactive.  It goes higher and stays there longer.  I'll have to start checking my BP too.  

So...do POTS, etc. get a bit better when you hit menopause?  That could be something to look forward to in the future! ;)

I was told so Draven, unfortunately, for me it doesn't work like that. Other problems have popped up like blood sugar issues and my cognitive skills are getting worse (Alzheimer's has been ruled out). Do remember we are all different, so this doesn't need to go for you!

9 hours ago, corina said:

I was told so Draven, unfortunately, for me it doesn't work like that. Other problems have popped up like blood sugar issues and my cognitive skills are getting worse (Alzheimer's has been ruled out). Do remember we are all different, so this doesn't need to go for you!

Well darnit!  I was hoping this could be the silver lining of menopause.  

Guest KiminOrlando

My doctor told me your cycle made POTS worse. Something about the adrenals. They put me on birth control to take away the cycle and it made a huge difference. I used to miss work 3 days out of 28 because I couldn't stand up and stay conscious. I wouldn't trade the birth control for the weight gain. I liked being skinny, but I need to be able to walk across my house and keep my job.