Romberg Test

Ernie

Hi everyone,

I don't know if many of you had the Romberg test. We have to stand still, feet together with our eyes closed. Every time I do it I fall. I saw on my neurological exam that it is positive.

Do any of you had a positive Romberg?

What does it mean if it is positive, ie what disorder or problem do we have? Is it part of POTS or NCS?

Thanks

Ernie

Edited by MightyMouse

Actually, it's a sign of neurlogical problems, and is not typically reported as a positive test for those with a primarily ANS problem. Generally speaking, a positive Romberg is sign of brain or neurological involvement, such as in multiple sclerosis, brain disorders, intoxication, etc.

I had positive Romberg sign when my spinal cord was compressed (before my surgery).

here's and explanation from http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/cache/-785055731.htm

"Romberg's sign is positive if the patient requires vision to stand steadily.

The patient is asked to stand with the feet together. If the patient is steady with eyes open but unsteady with eyes closed then there are signs of Rombergism.

Romberg's sign is said to be positive in patients with sensory ataxia and negative in cerebellar ataxia. In practise Romberg's sign has a low specificity.

In cerebellar disease, the patient is often unsteady with the eyes open or closed."

Nina

Guest Julia59

This is the test that came out positive with Dr. Heffez & Dr. Bolognese, but somehow it was negative when SSDI Doc took the test as well as that neurologist who thinks i'm whipping all of my health problems in my mind.

I could not keep my balance then either, but they claim I was fine---and wrote it on my report---as well as some other inaccurate information, and they got away with it.

I need a cocktail. shagdecalppmartini.jpg

Good luck at your appointment Ernie.

Julie :0)

My rheumatologist, who sees many chronic fatigue patients, says a lot of them have a positive Romberg's sign. It apparently shows up in the poorly defined CFS category of illnesses, and maybe POTS is included in this ... I'm not sure.

Amy

The Romberg sign is a very nonspecific test. It doesn't pinpoint any single disorder...it's only a very general signal that something is wrong.

Nina

Hi Julia,

It was my first appointment with this neurologist and I did the original interview while I was tilted up. I had a hard time being coherent and concentrating. I kept asking him to repeat the questions because either I could not hear or I could not remember what he just asked or what was the answer. He did not make me do the Romberg and I completely forgot to ask him about it.

He is sending me to a migraine neurologist because he thinks that there can be a link between the paralysis and migraines. I have an appointment with the other neurologist at the end of August, right after Dr Grubb.

Before they stood me up I told them not to freak out if I paralyse because that's what we are investigating. He told me not to worry because he has seen a lot. While I was paralysed he did a few tests to see my reaction. Of course, I had no reaction, totally limp.

I am glad I was not suggested psychiatry!

Have a nice day.

Ernie

Hi Ernie. That must have been a terrible interview for you! How horrible to do while you are tilted! YUCK! I am glad that they are checking things out, but especially happy that you are going to see DR. Grubb. Hopefully you can bring his report with you when you see the other neurologist in August. Take good care of yourself! Laura

Hi Laura,

The TTT was very difficult because I kept wondering if I was going to faint in the middle of my sentence. I often told him that I have concentration problems when I am standing and I am spending all my energy fighthing to stay conscious. At one point I told him that I was so exhausted that I could barely think, hold myself up and keep my eyes open. He told me to close my eyes and relax. I was out within 1 minute (I guess!).

Usually doctors here (in Quebec) don't let the patient faint. The lay us down a few seconds before but because my BP crashes in 2 seconds and he was busy asking me questions he did not have time to bring me down fast enough. He kind of felt bad about it but I told him not to worry because he saw the paralysis attack and that's what I was there for. The technician told me that usually they have one or 2 patients per year that faint because their BP crashes too fast. So I guess I had the lucky number!

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

I really wish doctors would know how to do a TTT properly. My neuro told me to close my eyes. Obviously he didn't know how to deal with it. Also, I was allowed to take my meds (the first time) and drink and eat etc. I've learned a lot since being on POTSPlace. Wish the doctors would take a look as well :unsure: !

You're very courageous to do the TTT again, I really HATE that!

Take care,

Corina

Ernie-

i hope you're coming out of the TT & your appointment okay. i know they always knock me out. i had a similar frustrating experience with lots of questions & my history & symptoms asked about during the tilt. and even after. the next day when i was a bit better (and back on meds) i ended up writing the doc & faxing it b/c i knew i hadn't been able to communicate all that i wanted to effectively. in the long run i think this actually helped b/c he realized further how truly out of it i was the day of the testing. still...it was incredibly frustrating...as is being told that you're one of the "special ones" like your 2-patients-a-year-passing out thing...sometimes i'd do anything to be told that i'm not the exception, you know?

hang in there,

:-)melissa

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your kind encouragement. Actually the appointment was much more horrible than what I wrote. I did not write everything that happened because I don't want to frighten others but I am still both emotionally and physically exhausted from it.

I always tell myself that I have seen or heard everything that can happen to us but when I go in for testing there is often something unexpected happening. I can't wait to have a normal life again. You know what I mean: sleep, eat, work and have fun.

I am still looking for a Canadian doctor who knows about POTS.

Ernie

Hi,

Well, I am finally back to my baseline. It took me 4 days to recuperate. The sad part is that I have to stop my meds tonight because I have 4 days of testing starting tomorrow.

I went for a 2 hours wheelchair ride and pretended I was on vacation on the beach. I miss so much being outside with people and enjoying myself.

I have another 2 difficult medical weeks coming ahead and after I have a few weeks of break and then I am going to see Dr Grubb. I can't wait to see him with all the update I have. I hope he will have a new med for me!

Ernie

Guest Julia59

Ernie,

Try to hang in there. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, and sending prayers that you'll make it through this testing without wiping you out -------and hope you spring back quickly.

It's good that you are finally getting some of the help you need.

You know i'm always here for you in Toledo when you come to see Dr. Grubb.

E-mail me for my ph#------if you need anything i'm only a couple blocks away from the hotel---if you stay at the same one.

Take care,

Julie :0)

Hi Julia,

I will probably be staying at the same hotel. I have not reserved yet because I am waiting to make sure I am really going this time. I have been postponing for the last 2,5 years because it's a lot of money for me. I am really excited about going to see him.

Ernie