Flu Shot/risks

yogini

Many of us wonder if it is safe to get a flu shot. It's personal for each of us and should be based upon your doctor's advice.

I've always gotten a flu shot (I have had POTS for almost 12 years) and just had it a couple of days ago. I haven't had much of a reaction to the shot, thank goodness.

I thought some of you might find this article helpful, though it is not geared to POTS or people with chronic illnesses who may have special risks. But still interesting:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/ask-well-flu-vaccine-risks/?_r=0

Edited by yogini

I just got the flu shot this week. I've never had any problems with it, and I sure prefer the shot to getting potentially very sick. However it is not 100% effective either of course.

I know people get concerned about possible reactions to flu shot. I certainly know people who refuse to get the shot. However people may want to keep in mind there are also possible (and more frequent) complications from flu, if you end up with it. Obviously each person should educate him or herself and weigh their own risks and benefits.

Yes, MomtoGiuliana I am concerned that if I got the flu I'd get very dehydrated which makes my POTS worse. In general since getting POTS I feel any kind of illness much more and recover slowly. Between traveling, living in a big city and taking the subway every day, I also come into contact with lots of germs. My POTS onset actually occurred after a flu/virus.

On the other hand, I am concerned about sensitivites and am aware that putting any foreign substance in my body could make my POTS worse. I can certainly understand why someone would choose not to get the shot...

Edited by yogini