Constant Foggy Brain

artluvr09

The past couple weeks my brain fog has been bad. It keeps getting worse. I don't know if it has anything to do with the time change even though it has been a while since. Or that the weather is all wacky. It was nice earlier this week. Then today we had a freezing rain advisory and rain and 49 degrees. Tomorrow its going to be 70 and thunderstorms. Then Friday back to 50 and Saturday back to 37. Then next week back up in 50s! I don't know if the weather is playing havoc with my brain fog.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning not feeling well. Fast heart rate, weak lightheaded clammy and shaky. I don't know what makes me feel like that. Its frustrating. i just don't have energy lately. I haven't gone to my life group at church or my adult autism group. I haven't even been exercising much at all. Any tips on how to get energy back? I want to be able to do stuff with friends. What foods are best and worst for energy?

Hi,

This has been my biggest and scariest symptom. Until they figured out my brain literally didn't have enough blood to function, I worried my brain was deteriorating. I've always been sharp, and organized and had a great memory, and suddenly I would be talking and couldn't find a word.

The weather messes with my migraines, but I don't know if I have seen a correlation in my dysautonomia. I know I don't handle heat well. I can sweat in a room that's 50 degrees with a fan blowing on my face. My husband often looks like a nut wearing a coat in the house. He jokes he could hang meat in here.

I am convinced my mornings are easier now I am pushing so much water later in the day. I have moved my med schedule around, and am trying an alarm halfway through the night to chug a bottle of water. It also means I get out of bed during the night to use the restroom. So I think my blood volume isn't dropping as much. This is very much something in flux for me. I am trying things and seeing what works and what doesn't. I also think this will be a moving target.

The frustrating thing is I can't ever correlate symptoms directly to a certain trigger. I can have a great day after a hard PT session the day before. I can have 5 crappy days in a row with no warning. As a Type A person, it's making me whackado!!!

Good Luck,

-K

Exactly! I can't seem to find what triggers me to feel like this either! Like this morning I woke up not feeling well. Just weak, lightheaded can't think straight fast heart beat and palpitations and hot. And a new symptom blurred vision! Like its fine when i'm not trying to read or look at my computer screens like now my vision is blurred which bothers me because all i do all day is my computer. And the worst part is i don't handle heat well either and its 74 degrees indoors because my mom still has the pellet stove on and hasn't turned it off :(.

artluvr09,

I can completely relate to you! I was trying to explain to my coworkers how the brain fog felt. I said that I wasn't getting enough brain to my oxygen. ; ) So, that's the new joke. Anyways, there is no pattern to my bad days at all. The past few days have been tough, but I am trying to keep positive. Oh, and the blurred vision happens to me too! It's like my eyes cannot completely focus on what is on my screen. It's crazy and frustrating. I am going to a cardiologist at Emory in Atlanta Tuesday, so maybe he can help me out! If I get any good tips or information I will definitely post them!

Thanks! tips would be awesome! Also has anyone noticed they feel worse when its stormy? I haven't felt well today just lightheaded, and brain foggy, and just out of it. I get worse before a storm and my anxiety gets worse as well. The storm is done but i still feel crappy. Plus my parents put the pellet stove back on even though its only 60s outside! Now it is 75 degrees indoors which is making me miserable and they won't turn it off because its supposed to get back in the 30s on saturday. I can't wait until it gets warm enough to put air conditioners in here. I hate our pellet stove.

My daughters have the same problem. Any change in weather, the barometric pressure changes affect them greatly, from the time they were very little. Today was a good day (the first in a very long time). It was sunny and warm, about 78 degrees. They were disappointed we didn't hit 80! Were outside until about 7:30.

Mostly when it's going to be stormy, they are worse....whether it be migraines, vertigo that's worse than normal, aches, lightheadedness, dizzy (different than vertigo), etc. My oldest daughter gets the blurred vision, too.

Oh, and the pellet stove, that would make them go bonkers! They can't stand the dry heat.

I hope you get to feeling better soon and quietly crack a window open in your bedroom and get some fresh air! :ph34r::D

DizzyGirls

Hello. I have not been on here in a while but I would just like to say that changing my diet into a completely clean and healthy diet has eliminated my brain fog to the point where I will just get it slight now only every once in a blue moon. I had terrible brain fog every day for months and months and I cut gluten, dairy and soy completely out of my diet and and I feel sooooo much better. It may take about 2 months or so to start to see results but it is well worth it. I have not eaten any of these ingredients for a year and a half and also do not eat any GMOs, preservatives or msg and I have been feeling so much better. I would say to at least try cutting gluten out for 3 months and see how you feel. You have to cut it out all the way and stick to it. I wish you the best of luck. ?

All of my symptoms have been getting worse for the past couple of months. I am back on Zoloft, and also trying Wellbutrin for the brain fog. I have been on the Wellbutrin for a week, and I am having a hard time processing anything I read. So, it seems to be making things worse. My mind is all over the place, so I can't concentrate. I don't know if the weather, time change, or a combination of multiple things started this flare. I will let you know if the medications help at all.

From what I understand, the brain fog is a consequence of low blood pressure. It clears as blood pressure improves. What is alarming to me is that the negative effects of episodic low blood pressure on the brain are cumulative - sort of like concussions in athletes. The more episodes the brain experiences, the worse the damage is over time. We can try to keep our pressure up with adequate hydration, medication, and avoiding activities that trigger episodes however, that does not always work. So, guess we just do the best we can and hope for the best.

I also have migraines that respond very strongly to the falling barometer. This year is the worst in my life (and I'm OLD) for the storm phenomena. I'm sure my dysautonomia responds similarly to the barometer. And both of these conditions lead to constant brain fog.

I have oxygen at home for my sleep apnea -- I keep forgetting to try it for the migraines and dysautonomia.

I'm going to do it today and will let you know if it helps.

GrandmaKK,

I too would be interested to know if oxygen helps. I've wondered if it would get me through the foggy periods. As it gets hotter, I think I will have more issues.

I tried explaining to a friend what brain fog feels like, but had difficulty.

I've had some episodes lately when I have used the wrong words for things. Last instead of lane. Or names, I called my best friend Lori instead of Laura. Just weird crap, ya know?

I know this will get better eventually, but it sure is disheartening in the short term!

-K

I used to have very very bad brainfog, it was like I felt very disconnected a lot of the time, it was pretty visually horrible as well. For me personally amitriptyline has helped with the brain fog, it almost seemed to block out that symptom a for me, I originally started it for migraines but it helped a few other symptoms that I really had no expectation of it helping. That being said there's still days where I'm brainfoggy so in my case it doesn't completely go away but it has been made much better.