Question About Change In Temperature Affecting Symptoms

pink1975

Today it was chilly outside (for me at least because I can't tolerate either cold or hot temps) and I had to walk from my office to the main building. For some reason, I went without putting on my shawl. I walked to the building which is just across a small parking lot. I felt fine, maybe a little winded but walked inside. I went about 50-100 feet and I suddenly got goosebumps and the feeling that I was going to faint. Luckily I didn't but, yuck!

My question is does going from cold to warm (or from warm to cold) trigger symptoms? Could it have been a reaction to trying to adjust to the change in temperature or was it more likely from the walk?

Thoughts?

Hi, pink!

That absolutely reminds me of my experiences. I was once walked outside in winter (dressed with coat and shawl) and entered a shopping mall - right after the entrance door the warmth of the air (from the ac) hit me like a blow and I got a spell of goosebumps, shivers, etc. I didn't faint either but really felt like a presyncope...

I thought I might be over reaching with the temp thing, but right now, that seems to be my worse symptom. I am freezing most of the time now, even completely bundled up in front of the heater. I am really struggling with the change from summer to winter, I assume this is the "October Slide" that Bigyskyfam mentioned. One good thing, yesterday, I was working on pulling out an old crocheted afghan and had taken it in the car with me to work on (hubs was driving). I had it on my lap as I worked and realized that I felt better in the car with a blankie on my lap so since it was already perfectly lap sized, I stopped ripping it apart and it is now my car blankie....lol. I think I will make some more lap sized blankets for use in my office and at home when watching tv.

I am really sensitive to heat where I just don't feel well when im out in the summer or if the heats on inside and that bothers me. I get weak shaky and just not feeling well when I am hot. I also tend to overheat when I am outside in the cold. I can't shovel snow because I get overheated so fast and start sweating outside. I love building snow creatures in winter but I have to take breaks to avoid getting overheated.

In my TST, I started getting cold, amazingly. My body just couldn't figure out what it was to do, and at one point, I told the tech "I feel like I'm freezing". Strange thing, the body and temperature. Right now I cannot warm up, and am about to climb into bed for a bit to warm up. I would take a shower if I had enough strength, but right now, from throwing up most of the day, I can barely stand to get in my chair.

Link to "October Slide" article or name of publication and author? One reason why sudden weather change may affect us is blood vessels dilate in warmth and constrict in cold. Since we have autonomic dysfunction the blood pressure fluctuations happening from warm to cold or vice versa may not be normally regulated. Guessing higher bp in cold weather lower in warm. Quick drop in BP leads to fainting feeling.