My Cardiologist Told Me Today That I Should Not Take Toprol

Loulou

He says it dulls the body's ability to properly compensate for all the potsy changes that our bodies need to make, I wonder if I just had tachycardia one day and then pots came with the toprol. I hope this not why I now have pots

Not sure what you mean. Toporol, a beta blocker, blocks beta autonomic receptors. This slows HR and lower BP. I am not aware of it causing permanent damage to the receptors, it has a short half life actually that's why they make an ext version of it now. When I took it after I had pots it lowered my HR but made my BP wacky, like wide and narrow.

Sorry, I left out a word in the subject.

My cardiologist said that people with pots should not take toprol because it dulls the body's ability to compensate for all the potsie changes that happen within the body. I know what's its for. I was on a high dose for 9 years before I was diagnosed with pots. But I wonder if he is right. I was at my worst while taking toprol.

i was given a beta blocker as soon as had TTT - i have had mini bought of tachycardia while on it but, it absolutely control my heart rate. I recently had to get a new cardiologist due to moving to a new state and he had me do another event monitor for 30 days and try to wean off toprol to see if episodes of psvt came back - i was terribly symptomatic without it - I also have EDS and my dx for dysautonomia came before starting an any meds at all - I think it depends on your individual case - i dont think there is any blanket statement that applies to this crazy disease!

Hoop311,

I was originally diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia by a different cardiolgist and was treated with toprol. My symptoms were there but I was always able to keep going. Over time,while on toprol my symptoms became extreme. So I wonder if my new cardiologist is right.

Did you start taking it before POTS for another condition? I think it's very unlikely that a beta blocker would cause POTS or autonomic issues. It leaves your system within 24 hrs and you should be back to "normal" if your dr tells you to taper off of it.

Beta blockers aren't for everyone with dysautonomia. They tend to cause low blood pressure - which for those of us with already low blood pressure sometimes doesn't work. On the other hand, they help lots of people with POTS control their heart rate and are one of the most common/effective medications we have. Each person is different.

Yogini,

I was misdiagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia originally. I was treated with toprol for many years before a new cardiologist diagnosed me with Pots. Once again, I have a another new cardiologist, who is the top rated cardiologist in my area, who told to stop taking it because it dulls the bodies ability to compensate with all the potsie changes our bodies have to make. My symptoms did gradually become worse over the years, and it seems to make since looking back. So you may be right, maybe it is only bad for some of us and not others. I looked back through old post and read a few others who have been told not to use toprol as well. I'm going to texted my pots doctor and ask him what I should do. Thanks for your post.

I do not think toprol would make you gradually worse over time, unless you increased your dose over time. IF you have tachycardia and low blood pressure, sometime it helps to take a med which increases your BP (like florinef or midodrine) along with the beta blocker. Or maybe it's not the right medication for you at all. I hope the new doctor helps you find a better treatment for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he's right. Tachycardia is what our bodies do in response to blood pooling - and beta blockers dull that response. Our bodies realize that not enough blood/oxygen is making it to the brain and they want to keep us from passing out. But, for me at least, the tachycardia makes me feel worse than the presyncope that comes without it.

If your cardio doesn't want your HR artificially slowed, I'm guessing he'll pick another avenue of attack. Something like Midodrine, to fight the pooling, or Florinef to raise your blood volume so that whatever blood pools will be a smaller percentage of the total. That's fine. Both could indirectly lower your HR. Different strokes.

I very much doubt that toprol caused your POTS. It doesn't affect the receptors that tighten the blood vessels in your legs, plus it's cardiospecific.