Face Flushing What Could Cause It?

artluvr09

It seems here lately I have been having episodes of face flushing Different times I notice my cheeks, nose and ears get burning hot then I start to feel hot and light headed. sometimes I am not even hot before the flushing spell!! It always starts out as really red and hot on my cheeks and nose then the rest of me feels hot and I get lightheaded. I don't know what causes it! Have any of you had this? if so any tips on helping it? I asked my cardiologist today and they said they didn't know! well it was the assistant that saw me but still!

Yes, I get that, too. If I get hot, tired, just eaten, bowel upset/needing loo, overdone it walked too far, bent/leaned over and shouldn't have etc. Lots of things can trigger it.

As day progresses I have upper body flushing mainly on chest and neck and into face and left ear. Yes, cooler shower helps to calm it down.

• 5 months later...

I just found this post I get this too! Right now my cheeks and right ear are on fire and red. Doc said its vascular all from ANS. Like surges of heat. My sis saw me over Xmas in an episode and said 'whoa hi beetroot" another odd symptom to add to the list. Probably had it the past 4 yrs.

My 16-year-old starting doing this recently, last few months. It is usually on her chest, neck face, ears, etc. I notice it a lot when she's eating, stressed, or sometimes it just appears. I was looking on and Ehler's Danlos website one day under the "dysautonomia" section, and there it was "flushing, blotchy skin, etc." Hers is the blotchy skin. It doesn't last long and I never asked her if she feels heat with hers. Thanks, Dysautonomia, yet another thing.

DizzyGirls,

The pattern of flushing you describe is often associated with mast cell issues. Is this something you have investigated for your girls? It is not unusual to find mcas in patients with EDS and dysautonomia of some sort. It is an unfortunate triad that many of us have. The good news is that many people who have all 3 can find some decent relief if the mast cell issue is treated properly.

I think mine is mast cells too but treatment wise? Anti histamines? I took a pic of the right ear the other night. So red. I cant find any links to why its happening, seem to just be generally feeling crap then burning starts.

First line treatment of mcas is an H1 and H2 antihistamine. But there are other treatments. Most others need to be prescribed. If you think you have mcas, please seek help from a doctor. Antihistamines can affect your HR and BP, so it is important to have a doctor involved in treatment. Other prescribed options include cromolyn sodium and even Xolair shots. Quercetin is a supplement used by some. There is also a supplement called DAO-ASE that is getting some attention although I don't know anyone that has actually tried it. Finding triggers, which can range from foods to stress to changes in environment (such as going from the cold outside to a heated room), can help in that some can be eliminated or managed with lifestyle changes.

Katybug,

That's interesting that you asked me about mast cells because my oldest daughter (not the one with the flushing problem :mellow: ) had high tryptase readings in some of her labs and they did a bone marrow biopsy last summer, and it came back as being ok. Have a great hematologist who said everything was normal. He was concerned about mast cell activation disorder, dermatomyocitis, etc. The only thing he said was odd was that she has no stored iron in her bone marrow. Zilch. She can't take iron either, has very strange reactions, most of which have nothing to do with her stomach.

The daughter with the flushing problem actually has normal tryptase levels.

Thanks for the heads up on that, though. I'm new to all of this and am quickly finding that sometimes these disorders take "bunny trails" along the way. None of it is ever simple, is it?

Dizzy Girls

I'm gonna check that article out, thanks! Mines been since pots started I guess but I haven't known why. Its an odd thing.

I couldn't read it all but ive got the gist. Few things to check over with spec in June.

Yeah claired, I had it bad last nite, cheeks n ears, general burning up couldn't cool down. Usually its when I feel my worst I find. Or extra stressed.

artluvr09 Sometimes when the blood pools in one area (like the face and ears) it helps to do something with another area of the body (like go for a 20 minute stroll if possible/safe). Sometimes that will help the discomfort. But of course check with your cardiologist first. Feel better!