Going To A Theme Park... How To Prepare?

Becia

So next Thursday, I'm going with the youth group of our church as a chaperone to Kings Island here in Ohio. For those not familiar with it, its like Six Flags, its a theme park, roller coaster, fun place. Its an opportunity for me to get out of the house for something other than a doctors appointment (which for the next 6 weeks, I have three a week), get some fresh air, sunshine, etc.

So far the forecast isn't showing extreme heat, only in the 80's, but its also Ohio, it can change quickly. How would you prepare for going into something like this? While I've been walking short distances (still symptomatic, but my outs have been reduced a bit), I will be using my wheelchair while here since the park is rather huge. I've scoped out places that are cool that I can escape to if it gets to be too much, which will be helpful. I also will have three more IV saline treatments under my belt before we go, and am due for one the next day and may start it that night when we return to help me bounce back.

I know this is gonna be very taxing on me, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity to help with the kids again, to be out of the house for a change of scenery. I would love to think I might be able to ride a coaster or two (I'm a roller coaster junkie, love them, but with POTS, its probably not advised, lol), but being a check in person on the ground for the kids is fine with me to get out of the house for something other than a white coat visit.

What would you take with you?

I'd wear a cooling vest, have plenty of electrolyte drinks, have a spritz bottle and/or fan. Also try to be be aware of when you need to get out of the heat and into a cool setting. Maybe others can help you judge that as well. Prays for you Becia and may it be a fun and safe time for you. liz

A nice wide brimmed straw hat to keep the sun off of your head and upper body or an umbrella for the same purpose.

Is your wheelchair motorized? I went to Universal in October and the motorized scooter was a life saver. I don't think my Dad could have made it pushing me all the way.

Make sure you have plenty to drink and eat (I know this is challenging for you) but it will be a long day and you don't want to have blood sugar issues.

I took my kids to the zoo a few Weeks ago and got too hot and we had to leave early. I wished I had found an air conditioned spot before hand in the park that I could have taken a break in. after half an hour in the air conditioned car driving home I was brought back to a better state

My wheelchair is not motorized sadly, and I probably will be pushing myself. Depending on who's there, they may help me, and I think you can rent motorized scooters at the park, but they are first come, first serve. If we get there in time, I may consider renting one.

Got a dress to wear today to help stay cool, and will get a spritz bottle. I was thinking the umbrella thing for when I'm sitting still as well. I've researched where to go, what I can do, and such, I just need to listen to my body more. Also sneaking in some extra food and such because I have such special stuff to attempt eating, lol.

Great suggestions, keep them coming if anyone has anything different.

I went to a zoo in Ohio a few weekends ago. My brother pushed me around in a wheelchair. I was still exhausted by the end of the day! I felt rather silly saying how tired I was when he was the one doing all the work. Ha! I thought I would be ok and left my cooling vest in the car. Major faux pas. It would have helped tremendously. I was also dreaming of a hat as Katybug mentioned. It is easy to get distracted and not drink enough fluids.

I really can't think of anything original except maybe standing near the log ride so you can get splashed by the water! Have fun!

Keep the sun off of your skin.

I am in the hot humid southeast. I can handle 85-90 ok when the sun is setting. 85 is a lot when I am getting direct sun. You know how radiant heat works. You might be better off with a thin and loose fitting shirt than not. With a cooling vest of course.

Stay off of the roller coasters, LOL.

Even though I have wondered what one would do to me. My wife said that she would not let me. I am afraid they might be just a little too much.

Take a lot of breaks.

I've wanted to go to the Columbus zoo so bad lately, lol.

There are a couple rides and such that are much calmer, but one has strobe lighting which lights bother me, and the other is a water ride, which I have a line out of my arm to keep dry, lol. With kings island, wheelchaired people get assigned a time to ride the coasters if you choose, so I thought about riding one at the very end to see how it would do. I close my eyes in them, I just like the feeling of soaring, but yeah, if it's late when we leave, my hr increases as the day passes, and it would be very detrimental. One can wish though, lol.

And sometimes just sitting up is hard in me. Im hoping I have enough time to save energy next week before we go (church and I'm running sound for a concert on Sunday night, physical therapy Monday, community dinner and meeting Wednesday, then trip Thursday). I do hope someone can push me a bit, but I'm trying to not be a party pooper or needy. I just gotta get some different scenery. Plus, to pass some time, I've been making jewelry, and they had a glass blowers shop there that had the most gorgeous handmade beads, plus lots of demonstrations... Hoping I can learn some tips on making my own beads, and incorporate that into my line.

So far the temps are estimated to be in the 80's, but it's ohio, it'll change, lol. They have some shows and stuff that are in theaters, so if I have to go see the science show 10 times to cool off, I will, lol. Or, they can just leave me in the beer garden for a while, and I'll just have a grand old time, lol.

Keep the ideas coming! Y'all are amazing!

And cooling vests... I don't have one. Where can you find one? I am planning on getting one of the cooling socks for my neck, and I have called the park and talked to first aid to see if I could stop in periodically for ice to help cool off, but if I start going every two hours or so for major cool down moments, it's kinda kinda bite.

Amazon is a good place to get cooling vests. I agree with what everyone has already stated here. I'm going to a carnival next weekend and am doing a lot of these things. I plan on riding the rides though and don't want to keep taking off a cooling vest so I am substituting that with a chilly towel and cooling headband and am hoping that will be enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

We went on the 26th, and you know what, for an absolutely exhausting day, I had a great time. It wasn't too hot or humid, even though I did get a tad bit of sun (but didn't burn, yay!). I had my IV therapy the night before, packed a bag of salt, True Lemon packets to flavor water, and my own water container, as well as some snacks, dressed relatively cool, and put the feet back on my wheelchair (I usually don't have them so I can use my feet to propel myself, working my legs).

I'm a total adrenaline junkie, although my body no longer lets myself handle it, but I had a talk with my psychologist before I went, and he made the suggestion of "just go and try it, you don't know what your body will truly do until you put it in those moments. From those moments, you learn." I had a special pass that would allow me to ride the rides, just allow me to access them from a different location, take people with me to assist, gave me a time to report, so I wasn't waiting in line with a bunch of people, etc. There is one coaster there called "Adventure Express" which is not a twirly one, more like side to side, a little up and down, through a forest-like area. One of my housemates was with me, and she rode next to me, helping me sit up and even held my head because it wasn't an over the shoulder mechanism, but just a lapbar deal. She was worried if I did pass out, I would hurt myself, and since it was slightly jerky, she grabbed me to help keep me upright, so I didn't hurt myself. I didn't pass out, was triggered yes, but had a good time. I waited for a bit before we found another that someone suggested might be safe to me to try. That one i don't remember, I passed out on it, but was coming to when we stopped. That was the end of my fun, but hey, I at least did try, and now I know, lol. They weren't crazy rides like the ones I wanted to go on (like the one with the huge drop that you go 80-mph on, that was my favorite last time), but they were away from my wheelchair :)

I kicked my feet out of my sneakers and propped them up at the water park (couldn't swim because of my PICC line at the moment), and enjoyed the shade. From there, we left the park, and while I was able to enter and leave the bus on my own feet before, I had to use the wheelchair lift for the remainder of the trip. The kids were awesome too... at one point they were fighting on who was gonna push me, because the park had a lot more hills than I remembered, so any help was gladly accepted. We stopped at Chipotle, which is a burrito place, on the way back, and I was so afraid I wasn't gonna be able to eat, because lately that's something I'm really struggling with, but I ate, and it was actually good. The food tasted great, which is something rare with me lately.

Friday after was rough, Saturday I thought I had kinda gotten better, but Sunday I fell ill with a horrible migraine at church, which I've been nursing all week. Monday my housemate found me passed out in the bathroom, suspecting I had a seizure because she couldn't get me to wake up for a few hours, which is common with them. Looks like the extra hydration did me good, and delayed my crash that I knew was gonna happen, but they extra treatments have helped me bounce back a bit better than I would have otherwise without. Have had a few more seizures, but we think they are more related to the fact I was taking a pain pill that has that side effect. Last one was Thursday night, and that one ended me up at the ER because I somehow twisted my injured hip and my leg went numb. That has sense resolved somewhat, and I've gotten my hip back into place, and gotten a medication that doesn't cause seizures (yay!).

I'm so glad I went. I wanna go back. I kept repeating to myself through all the troubles I've had, that day of fun, away from doctors and appointments, in the fresh air, was worth it. It was, I had a blast.