antibiotics and acidophilus

THis isn't exactly pots related, but has anyone been able to solve the diarrhea problem that comes with antibiotics by taking acidophilus?

I've had 2 and a half days of augmentin, and my doc recommended acidophilus ... but if that doesn't work and I'm still having problems, she'll switch the prescription.

I'm on my way out to buy some before the store closes ... thought I'd give it the ol' college try ... but I just wondered if I can hope for success! Wish me staying power to make it to the nearest whole foods and back.

thanks,

m

nope, i have no idea...i'm a big help i know...

i'm also very out of the loop on the site these days...our internet went down in the whole region for 2 days and i am now all behind! funny how dependent we are on these things!

anyway...just wanted to wish you luck on your 'college try' and hope that you made it to the store and back...if it's ntot one thing it's another huh?? ugh...at least that's how i feel about it...

later alligator!

emily

p.s. corina, are you peeking?

just so you know, 'you're the cat's pajamas!'

and just to keep your mind working...

'don't throw the out the baby with the bath water'

and

'don't count your chickens before they hatch'

and

'you're full of bologna!' or 'you're full of hot air'

and

'do you want a knuckle sandwich?'

i, too, am slow as molasses! i don't know the origin of the saying, but your explanation sounded good to me!

those should keep you busy until i get a chance to log back on (and just in case the whole darned internet goes down again!) :)

Merrill, My doctor always puts me on flora Q, which is just a huge amount of bacteria that keep your gut in line. I don't know if it's a script, as he just always gives me a bunch when I tell him I have to go on them. They seem to work pretty well for me and I always get the loosy goosies when on antibiotics. Nothing in them to react to. morgan

Thanks, Morgan. You have such a generous doctor!

I did make it to the store and back ... with a bottle of Solgar brand Advanced Acidophilus Plus (w/500 million microorganisms per capsule--250 of L. acidophilis and 250 of B. Lactis). I took 2 capsules since I have some catching up to do :) .

I found the whole refrigerator case full of options at whole foods a bit overwhelming! Too many choices--too many brands--too many different doses and ingredients. I must've stood there gaping at the jars for 20 minutes. I can't remember if I saw FloraQ, but it seems I must have. I opted for the millions instead of the billions ... that seemed a bit much of something I'd never tried before.

Em, glad to know you're back online; I owe ya one. :D

Merrill,

can't help you either, like Emily, but Augmentin is a good antibiotic so I hope it works on you soon and that you'll feel better soon!!!

Emily, ofcourse I'm peeking :) . Where on earth do you live???? Being without the internet sounds terrible!!! :D

Anyway, I can't handle more than one at a time, so I'll start with "the cat's pajama's! I really don't have a clue. Have to think about that one!

Have a nice weekend all,

Corina

Merrill,

I have a lot of problems with yeast and antibiotics, so I am no stranger to the probiotics :) I recently found an aweseome brand called Bio-K Plus, it's actually a liquid yogurt form of acidopholus that is extremely potent. They have a yucky plain one and another fruity flavor that is easier to get down, but they really help. One Bio-K yogurt equals 250 capsuls of the average probiotic, and 100 regular yogurts but without the sugar. You can usually order them through your local health food store- they are pricey but worth the investment. Good luck!!

Acidophilus is the only way I can make it through a full dose of antibiotics.

Try and take it with a meal.... Also take it about 4 hours before or after (or both) your antibiotic so it can fully take affect.

I always take the maximum dosage during the antibiotic and also for a few days after I'm done with the med.

Good Luck!

Lisa

Acidophillus is a MUST when you are taking abx.... Abx not only kill the bad bacteria, but also the good bacteria that live in your intestines....

You need to replace this with a good probiotic. I like PB8, and Flora Source...also the ones made by Natren are great ... You can purchase all these online....You can never take enough of it .... I have ben on long term abx for Lyme Disease for 8 years, and have never had one stomache problem b/c of probiotics. Feel Better! ;)

Thanks for the tips ... I guess I was hoping for a miracle and Surprise! I didn't get it ... I think once the runs start from bad reaction to antibiotics, it's hard to get them to stop without discontinuing the meds. Even with the probiotics, I got way worse overnight and was really sick for many hours today--even without my morning dose! The doctor switched me to zithromax (which I've heard isn't always effective), and I'll wait til tomorrow to start it and give my guts a little more time to heal. I am sooo sick of being sick in this way--it's been a full week since this cold and sinus infection hit--gut distress on top of it all is pretty yucky. Sigh.

At least I've got last week's desperate housewives on tape for tonight's entertainment. That oughta take my mind off my troubles for a little while. ;)

Take care y'all.

m

PS just to confirm, take acidophilus with a meal, right? I think zithromax goes on empty stomach; this could get confusing!

Merrill,

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. We have Zitromax as well. I think it's only for three days, am I correct? I really hope you'll be on your feet soon!!!

Emily, are you around somewhere? I need some explanation about the cat's pajama's!!! Wasn't able to figure it out ;)

Time for some Dutch now, and this one goes for Merrill as well:

Ik ben zo ziek als een hond!

Tot snel,

Corina

Merrill,

I sure hope you start to feel better soon....believe me, I know what it feels like to feel like crappola! I hate thinking of anyone else feeling so crummy.

Corina,

I'm here...sorry! We live in Pennsylvania...not in a big ciy but not in Timbucktoo (spelling???) either...but, somehow the provider that we use and most poeple around here use was trying to upgrade their system and instead had a failure in the whole entire region for two days! It was crazy! I realize how dependent a homebound person is on the internet! I felt paralyzed...like how will I order my vitamins or how will I know what's going on with my friends?

Anyway, I may not have this quite right, but You're the Cat's Pajamas is like saying 'you're so cool' or 'you're just great' kind of thing.

Another favorite is "A watchpot never boils"...

Now, you must tell me what that Dutch means!

Later alligator!

p.s. i posted to michelle to see if we are going to be in trouble for doing this...i hope not, but if so...no worries, we can email them back and forth! ;)

Emily

Emily,

The first one was for Merrill (you've had your share in being sick).

Ik ben zo ziek als een hond = I'm sick like a dog, I know you've got that one too! Hope you're doing better Merrill!

Tot snel = see you soon

Did you try to pronounce it?

And thank you soooo much on the cat's pajama's, you make me feel special!!!

I'm going to think about the watchpot now.

I've been reading Michelles and your posts about the rules, I'll wait and see what Michelle decides. It won't be a problem although I think you're right. I love this short conversations, but I understand Michelle and would like to compliment her on doing this great job. I think Michelle is the cat's pajama's for taking good care of everyone around here! :)

Corina

Emily, are you trying to stump Corina on purpose by making up new words? :)

Corina, I think she was trying to say "watched pot," not "watchpot." That should help!

m

PS thanks for the good wishes ... I started the zithro today (5-day prescription) and took my acidophilus ... was wracked with pain (stomach/gut) after breakfast--which lasted a couple hours. Don't know what that was about ... but feeling better now and very hungry. I've got some white rice cooking on the stove. :) Head congestion is a little better. I'll be right as rain in a few days, I'm sure. B)

oops!

i stand corrected, thanks merrill...i hope that helps corina!

merrill, it's a good thing you are here to help...:) it's your english expertise i aspire to!

also, you have not gotten me so curious about desperate housewives, i am gonna have to tune in tonight for the finale. we'll see if i can figure out what is happening.

well, corina and i keep picking your posts to turn into 'idiom lessons!'...at least it is making you laugh while you are feeling lousy. that's a plus, i suppose.

hey corina, i did try to pronounce that stuff! um...HOW do you do it??? i admire so much that you are able to participate in this site and translate...you are so hard on yourslef about keeping your memory alive, but, man, doing this every day and learning english like you are is HARD work! you go girl!

love, em

Guest Mary from OH

The best, most reliable source of probiotics I have found is a product called Culturelle. They have a website at www.culturelle.com

My daughter's GI dr. did a study of over 100 probiotics and their efficacy. He discovered that only ONE actually did what it purported to do. That was Culturelle. What he found was that there was a lot of problems with shipping and and handling and storage; temperatures, etc. By the time the people got the product, the "live" organisms were already dead. But Culturelle stood up time after time.

The website will tell you the closest place you can get it to you.

Good luck!!

Antibiotics can really tear your guts apart!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Also try to eat yogurt with active, LIVE cultures in itl

Good luck t o you!

Mary, I will check out that brand. Is it expensive? Right now I am using Shaklee probiotics, only b/c I thought they would be pretty reliabe...however, they are super expensive!

CORINA! let's get back to your 'idiom education' k?

which one are you on now? the watched pot? the chickens? the baby and the bath water?

a new favorite: 'Whatever floats your boat!' I love this phrase that my high school science teacher used to say all of the time.

so, get busy out in your garden today, but don't get so busy 'turning the wheels in your head' that you forget to enjoy the sunshine and the flowers, k?

i like having this under one of merrill's post, so that her english expertise can keep us in line!

later alligator...as you can see i cannot get sleep despite several attempts to hit the hay, drift off into dreamland and not let the bedbugs bite. aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

em

Merrill, for sinus infection you should get a double pack of zithromax. So it should be taken for 10 days not five, but it stays in your system longer. Antibiotics for sinus infections should never be less than a two week course, usually 21 days, because they are so hard to treat. I saw the flora Q in the drugstore yesterday. Over the counter and it's wonderful for me. But then what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander....... <_< morgan

hey corina!

are you there?????

we're on at the same time!

yes, i think it is okay to do this...but we could definitely start a thread that is clearly labeled OT: corina's idioms!

it's really up to you my dear!

what time is it there??? it's almost 8 am here and i have been up all night. i'm about to scream my head off!

emily

Hey Em, don't scream your head off (although I don't know what THAT means <_< ). I'm sorry you were up all night! It's 1.50PM here and I'm having my cup of salty soup now (I'm having 3 in the afternoon and a garotade 0.5 liter). Did you receive my email?

Corina

PS I think I'd rather start a new topic because I don't want to bother the others, don't you agree?

It doesn't bother me, ladies ... no problemo. <_<

Morgan-- your post was interesting to me, tho a couple days late! I finished the 5-day zithromax, knowing I would continue to improve even after I'd stopped taking the med. But my prescribing doc put it through with one refill in case one round of zithromax doesn't do the trick. What I forgot to ask her, though, was whether I should take 10 days in a row of the drug--starting with the two-pill dose on day 6 and continuing through day 10 ... or whether I should take it for five days, then wait five days, and if I'm not 100%, then refill the prescription and start over.

I don't even know what day it is anymore in the lifecycle of this bug... but I do know I'm not 100%! Or maybe it's just the rest of life wearing me down. I'm doing OK, though ... and try not to complain too much!

I'm still trying to remember to take the acidophilis once a day just to see if it helps my gut health generally ...

Does anyone know anything about the brand I bought, Solgars? The label boasts that it's dairy and lactose free ... yet it does have casein in it. Hmmm... Emily, can you have casein? I'd heard if you have a dairy allergy then casein was an absolute no no.