antibiotics and acidophilus

Merill,

You are correct about casein being an allergen. It is the protein found in milk. There are a much higher percentage of people that are lactose intolerant vs. people who are actually allergic to the protein in milk (casein). So if you actually have a milk allergy and not just lactose intolerance problems, then you should consider switching brands. I use Enzymatic Therapy acidophilus called "Pearls". It says on the label that it contains no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, dairy products, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, or preservatives. This

(I am not sure about casein in it. It is not listed in the ingredients though.)

Hope this helps! :P

Gena

Corina, re: Espanol--je ne le parle pas. :P

Gena, it doesn't sound like your acidophilus brand contains casein... I thought it so odd that in big letters on my label it says "non-dairy, lactose free" when the ingredients include casein. I'm sure as you say the distinctions are chemical ones... I posted my note b/c of what Emily wrote.

I have two nieces (one belonging to each of my brothers) who are dangerously allergic to dairy, and would have to be hospitalized if they made the mistake of swallowing one of these little capsules! For my part, I'm OK with it.

I went through a number of years, starting in my mid twenties, where I could NOT eat dairy ... If I ate pizza or ice cream (my two dairy indulgences), I got SEVERE stomach cramps that lasted quite a long time. Agony. I tried lactaid, but it didn't work. So I stopped eating it for a while. I battled IBS symptoms a lot--I always have and I still do ... but now I know it's related to autonomic dysfunction. And for whatever reason, starting in my mid-thirties, I was able to start eating pizza and ice cream again. Everything changes--and while I too was one of those 5'7" 104 pound women in my twenties, the ice cream and pizza now stick to my waist, thighs, and butt and I'm 44 pounds heavier. Sigh. I still indulge on occasion.

So what I want to say to all my skinny friends out there who are younger than 35 and trying desperately to gain a pound or two, don't despair. Just WAIT. :D

Look, I took us off topic too!

Happy memorial day,

m

merrill,

i gotta fall over again...sorry...but, that bugs me that it says non-dairy in big letters but has casein!

anyway, for me, i wouldn't take it b/c i need to avoid any milk proteins or milk products...whey, casein, lactose, blah de blah de blah.

some people with pots are thought to be allergic to the protein in milk, although, they don't show it as an immeidate reaction as your nieces do. so it is hard to pick up on and won't 'test' in a typical allergy test.

but, now, i sound like a broken record! (corina, do you know that one/??) i feel like i ramble all the time about this dairy thing...maybe it's cause i just want pizza and ice cream so darn badly!

je ne parle pas espagnol either! :P

back to my book on tape...hey, i need some 'fluffy' book suggestions! i'm 'profound booked-out' whateve the heck that means!

emily

Merrill I'm skinny and 41, so I'll have to wait just a few more years to gain some weight :P

Emily, I read a real nice book some months ago ( I LOVE reading but since my memory is bad I'm having trouble reading). I only remember the Dutch title but I remembered the writers name which is Mary Lawson. It's a book about a Canadian family and that's all I'm going to tell. When I'm in the library again (yeah I sometimes go there with my cart!) I'll have a look at it again. I enjoyed it sooo much. I think you've read/heard The horsewhisperer? Oh and have you seen Out of Africa with Merrill Streep? She's my favourite actrice and I always enjoy that movie so much! The latest movie I saw was Million dollar baby, and boy did I cry!

Hope this is enough to get you through this!

Corina

Merrill, since you are an editor do you have reading as a hobby, or do you read enough during the days? I like travelling stories, I once read a book about a woman climbing the Himalaya. I was very impressed by it. I also like books about China. I ordered a new one called White Gardenia, written by Belinda Anderson. Have you heard of it?

Take care,

Corina