Celebrating The Little Stuff...

Becia

Today, I did something I never thought I would be doing again, at least to this degree.

I'm fluent in asl, and when I first started going to my church, I interpreted the sermon for a friend down home that couldn't go to church anymore while she had no interpreter. I'm far from good, but I've studied the language for 17 years, and just love how it's been good for me. I signed the songs because people used to love seeing that version of what they sang, but after my friend managed to find a deaf church, I stopped interpreting, and allowed myself to enjoy playing drums again.

Since my diagnosis, I've had lots of problems with having my hands above my head causing symptoms, which signing made very hard for me to handle these, so I had effectively stopped signing large amounts of time, maybe just the quick sentence here and there if I was having trouble communicating, or just random sentence.

This morning, the pastor kneeled down to me and asked how I felt. I responded I was exhausted and sick, but here. He asked if I felt well enough to do some signing, we had a visitor that may require some of my signing, but only if I felt up to it. He knew I was ill, and if I couldn't, he would respect that too.

After a brief conversation, I interpreted the entire service, from songs, to prayer, to sermon and offering. I am so drained, but it was such a challenge to me of can I do this. Some of the girls I taught a couple years ago also sat with him and watched, learning what they could as we went through everything. I was rough rough rough, but it made it worthwhile to this gentleman to enjoy, and I was so happy I could help him. In fact, he's coming back with the other 9 members of his family that are hearing impaired, visitng us again, and has said if I am not able to sign, that's fine too, they can follow the power points, just knowing someone is there that can understand them made it worthwhile to attend this service. I told the pastor that after arranging to try and do this for him, I need to be on the payroll, lol.

I am so ill from this exertion, but after he left, I sat back and smiled. It was really nice to celebrate using my language again. It's a good exhaustion. Just had to share.

That's so awesome! One of my good friends used to do some signing, normally during the songs. I learned a bit from her, but since she moved out of country a while back, I haven't done too much. Though on some especially bad days, when I can't sing, I do signing instead. (A lot of the motions are just motions and not officially signs, but I like it all the same.) It's always good to celebrate the little victories! Hope is a beautiful thing.

It was def a challenge, and I am completely feeling it today something fierce. I'm also positively terrified. I nearly passed out getting off the stage from doing the songs (I was sitting on my drumming stool), the youth minister and my friend Stan grabbed me and helped me off, and after finishing the sermon, I knew I couldn't move. The world was spinning, and I literally was on autopilot. And today, the level of Potsie-ness... I don't see how I'm gonna do this trip to the neuro today. This is literally a "stay in bed, ask for juice, don't move" day.

I'm really hoping I can work out a system for this. I'm giving it a few weeks, but if my health deteriorates because I can't seem to recover from things, I will start training my sister to fill in (she's not as fluent as I am, she can hold a conversation, but as for proper interpreting, she's not sure of herself). And like I said, this gentleman was super nice yesterday, knew I didn't feel good,but was grateful I was able to do what I did.

I do know one thing I need to do: cut my nails. I thought I was gonna start bleeding how many times I signed believe, and stabbed myself in the head with them, lol.