Oxygen Therapy?

Has anyone tried it? I saw a potsie on tumblr who used it with success and I searched it on here although all of the threads on it are really old so I thought I'd start a new one. I feel like a lot of my symptoms are from low oxygen caused by other parts of my dysautonomia (like my heart racing way too fast) like the seizures and passing out are caused from low oxygen because of that and I know some of the symptoms when I feel short of breath have to be low oxygen. So does anyone know if using a continuous flow of oxygen through like a nasal cannula would be helpful? I'm not sure if I should bring it up to my doctor or not. I don't want to sound like an idiot or anything. My husband doesn't really see the benefit of it but it seems interesting to me so I would love to hear from more people who use nasal cannula's continuously or something and receive benefits from it.

@momtogiuliana it said that the page was not found. I actually read that page but those are extremely expensive and I'm more interested in like a nasal cannula that I can wear most or all of the time for continued help.

@gackedo no, we haven't had a chance because our stupid car had to get a tune up which took a good majority of our money right there. We do plan on getting it done though.

@bigskyfam hmm it would be interesting to see if we feel better with continuous oxygen.

I've had O2 on occasions when I had a couple of those shaking episodes and it didn't help me. My O2 sats are always fine and my pulmonary function tests are fine. When I did my CPETs my O2 sats never dropped but they did find that my muscles weren't able to use O2 appropriately so I was just blowing it right back out again.

They are finding that with ME/CFS patients that the body isn't able to get the O2 to detach from the hemoglobin appropriately for some reason. Dr. Cheney has reported that over 50% of his patients do not have their O2 sats drop at all with maximal breath holding (normal is 6-7% drop he says). Several other studies reported at IACFS/ME a couple weeks ago also implicate mitochondrial defects that seem to involve O2 not separating from hemoglobin appropriately so that may be why you feel like you need O2 even when your O2 sats (the amount in your blood) is fine. You have enough in your blood, it's just not getting into your cells. However, using supplemental O2 doesn't help that.

Dr. Sarah Myhill's book on mitochondrial dysfunction discusses the problems associated with this here as well as a few other places in the book

http://www.thyroidhelp.org/ViP/Diagnosing%20And%20Treating%20Chronic%20Fatigue%20Syndrome%20-%20Dr%20Myhill.pdf

Edited by Chaos

@Chaos Oh wow thankyou. I love all of the info you give me on Mitochondrial Disease because it's so hard to find information on it. Hmm maybe I should really get my o2 checked then. If it appears normal then that's another thing that points to mitochondrial disease for me because there is obviously something wrong. I feel short of breath all of the time and the slightest activities make me feel like I can't breath and when it's really bad and I turn blue and stop breathing is normally when the seizures or passing out occurs. Would def. be interesting to find out. I appreciate all of your info on Mitochondrial Disease

I get frequent migraines, and no meds worked. I read about O2 therapy for cluster headaches and a few people have used it for migraines. So I got a medical prescription. I used high flow with a mask, not a nasal calendula as that is too low flow (only goes up to 3 liters per minute, I think). It helped for the first few times and never stopped a headache after that. Have used it for a while- no side effects, no improvements either.

I know. I thought I found the magic bullet for the headaches. After about one month, it never stopped the big ones but still helped some minor ones. Now, I am debating still using it, but probably will for another few months. PM me if you want more info or anything about it.

@CHAOS ,really setting off some bells here,earlier today i orderes Dr. Teryy Wahls' new book,she is a director of internal medicine at the Iowa V.A. hospital that was diagnosed 3 times at the Cleveland clinic with secondary progressive MS(reputedly one of the world's best Neurology centres).

With a diagnosis of a fatal disease in it's final stages she used functional medicine and dietary research to get of of her wheelchair and back to working full time.Her first book is called "Minding My Mitochondria"

Mike, I've heard of that book before, so I just went to both ebay and amazon to check for it, wow that's an expensive book! Nothing below about $66 on either site! She does have a cheaper book called The Wahls Protocol which is about $16 for the Kindle version, I wonder if most of her principles from the main book are mentioned in that one....

Oh wow I looked that book up and it is super expensive. I doubt it's something you'll find in your local library too lol. Too bad. It looked interesting. Despite the price it still has amazing reviews though so it must be really good for people to pay 60$ for it and then give it 5 star reviews.

@LMG did it help you with anything else? I unfortunately think a lot of it is probably related to mitochondrial disease in my case so like Chaos said it probably wouldn't work for me. I'm kinda bummed because I don't mind walking around with tubes in my nostrils if I feel better lol.

"Minding My Mitochondria" is her first book,which is out of print now,hence scalpers are selling it for such money...her new book "The Wahls' Protocol" is the more updated version of the protocol shevhas followed for the last ten years andvis also the same she is using in clinical trials (with very promising results).

Here is her TedxTalk from a few years ago..

I tried a hyperbaric oxygen recently. I had posted about it at the time and also looked into old posts on the forum. I felt better after the treatment. I didn't go back because it is expensive and takes a lot of time They place where they have the treatments is out of the way. The worker at the place said she does it every day and it has changed her life - improved her skin, sleep, given her energy and made her more relaxed.

Oh wow that's interesting that it helped her. Yeah, I don't have a lot of money though. I do have a lot of time though because I'm so sick there's really nothing else I can do with my life :( After my recent trip to the gym I'm wondering if oxygen will even help me though. My husband thinks that when I have my seizures I wind up having way too much C02 in my body and I don't know how to lower that and have more oxygen instead.