Compression Stockings -- What Type, Make, Number Helps You?

I know there have been some posts in the past on compression stockings or athletic compression stockings. Two doctors in the past week have suggested that I get them, but did not tell me what type. They seem to feel anything would be of help. At Mayo, I was told to get bicycle SHORTs.

What's the consensus out there?

What has helped?

Hey, lynnie22! I have a pair of thigh-high stockings by Lace Poet, and a pair by BrightLeafs, both ordered from Amazon.com. I've been using the 20-30 mmHg strength. One pair of the stockings has toes, and one is toe-less. I really prefer the pair from Lace Poet, because they are comfier, and they don't have the silicone band that BrightLeafs does that makes me break out. Unfortunately, the Lace Poets pair is purple, so I can't wear it with much of my clothes...

You can get a lot of fun compression stockings from Amazon, and they come shipped right to your door. Also, if you find that they help you, you might even invest in a more expensive pair from somewhere like RejuvaHealth or Juzo, as I've heard they are really comfortable.

I only have worn full foot knee highs so far. The ones I wear to work are 20-30 Truform brand. I got them at WalMart, but they are on Amazon also. They can get a little tight at the front of my ankle by the end of the night.

I also have the lesser strength ones that are < 20 that I wear on days that I don't work, but I don't think that they do much. They are Medipeds brand.

Edited by dkd

I have 30-40 thigh highs, I can't remember what the brand is but I got them from discountsurgical.com. They were one of the cheaper brands. I started out with socks but found that instead of pooling in my feet and ankles, the blood would pool in my knees and they would get swollen and red. The thigh highs keep my entire leg normal looking. The thigh highs are easier to take off than the socks, too, because you can pull them down over your toes easily and they come off easy from there.

After much trial and error, I wear jobst 30-40mmhg toeless thigh highs, iniji toe socks (med weight, although they make compression socks), and either Skins bike shorts, spanx, or Lucy perfect core yoga pants or leggings. I need compression all the way up, but it is easier on my EDS body to put it on in pieces. The pieces are not cheap, but I feel much better - and my BP responses are much more normal - with them. I have found jobst far more durable than other brands of compression hose, and skins more durable than spanx. Lucy pants are pricey but invulnerable - mine still look relatively new after multiple wearings per weak for two years. Many of us pool in our abdomens as well as legs, and have found OTC compression garments better than abdominal binders. Bike shorts alone wouldn't be enough for me, but something is better than nothing.

I find the regular stockings that look kind of like pantyhose to be too difficult to get on because of the weakness in my hands. I found a website called Discount Surgical Stockings and they have all different types and brands, including ones that look like my dad's old tube socks. These feel more like a regular sock and are easier to get on for me. I get the medium compression. I find these to be good to wear with casual and tennis shoes. If I am wearing dressier shoes then I fight with the other ones that are more lime pantyhose. This website also has good sales and a wide selection of brands, styles, levels of compression.