Low Albumin

Darlene

i m looking at my medical records... every single lab i have had done shows low albumin. could this have anything to do with my dysautonomia? the nurse practitioner said its no big deal. but she has also said my low vitamin d is no big deal too. from what i ve read, albumin and d is a big deal.

Hi ND,

Along with your albumin test on a cbc there should also be a test called an AG/ratio. If that is abnormal too, then it would point to something being off with the immune system.

I had abnormal ag/ratios and albumin's for years that no one attended to. Eventually my neuro tested my total quantitative immunoglobulins and I turned out to have an immune deficiency, which we are now treating with ivig. When you have an immune deficiency you also don't produce antibodies properly and can have other autoimmune diseases on board which may or may not show up when antibody tests are run.

Do you ever feel like your fighting an infection or have an obvious cold with no fever? I also had low very low d and treat it with D3 supplements. Just for reference I did have positive ana's on and off and hashimoto, also skin biopsy and autonomic testing proved small fiber autonomic neuopathy and lichen a skin autoimmune disease. I was first diagnosed with fibro, which I now know was really just symptoms of the illnesses I was finally diagnosed with.

Hope that give you some insight from a fellow potsy!

From what I remember, low albumin means in essence low protein. This usually stems from malabsorption. Do you eat gluten free? If not, you might want to be checked for celiac or if not that, try a gluten free diet for gluten intolerance.

Albumin is important for binding hormones and other things. Without enough, all of that doesn't work properly. It would be important to get your albumin levels up to normal.

Lastly, albumin in the bloodstream influences oncotic pressure, which pulls water/fluids out of other spaces into the blood vessel. This could mean a lot if one has POTS, because not getting the fluids into the vascular system could mean hypovolemia. So, find another doctor that will take this seriously!

• 2 weeks later...

no, she didn't check anti- diuretic. i was just telling her how i was in the ER 2 months ago with very low bp, nausea, tachycardia, difficulty breathing, systemic burning sensations (immediately after eating), but these episodes can happen anytime. i have also told her sometimes i go months with drinking very little do to nausea, and when i do drink I pee several times a day (fluids don't stay in me). she said maybe you have low blood volume from not drinking enough fluids. she prescribes me vasopressin to help keep the fluid in (hopefully now i will not pee all day and night). she also prescribed me fluids, sodium chloride (IV) once a week as need. she requested labs: serum metanephrine test, 5HIAA, and Chromogranin A.

• 1 month later...