Bad Posture

Libby

I can't tell if I'm seeing connections where there are none or not. But I've noticed that when I'm feeling faint/nauseous, my posture becomes horrible. Hunched down over my desk or just slouching. I don't think it's lack of energy so much as it's helping with my bp. I'm not tired, not more than usual, I just really feel compelled to slouch.

Just me?

Not just you!! I've noticed this so much recently, particularly getting neck pain from it. I used to have pretty good posture, not perfect but it was definitely never an issue. But since POTS...it's honestly terrible. I look like a rag doll. My coworkers laugh because they walk in on me and I'm leaned forward, completely sprawled across my desk, with my neck craned to look up at my computer. Or leaning way back with my feet up. And I drive like a little old lady - slouched forward and hunched over the wheel. It's not something I consciously do - I suspect it's just our bodies attempts to get out brain closer to heart-level.

Yep, I first noticed this when I was at university -- about 20 odd years ago. I'd try to be as horizontal in my chair as was possible -- sprawled out. Or I'd be resting my head on my desk while listening to the lecturer or tutor. This was long before I was diagnosed with POTS. I just could not stay seated for long without trying to get as horizontal as I could. Some people used to look at me weirdly in class -- all sprawled out as I was -- and I was very aware that I looked strange but I could not sit up straight for the hour or two that these classes lasted.

blue

I have noticed this as well. I'm working on strengthening my back in general, with the hope of improving posture and helping my horrible neck pain. I think (purely my thoughts!) that the slouching is a combo of the body's fatigue as well as an attempt to get everything closer to the heart and/or laying down to relieve the effort of dealing with BP and HR swings.

Other than strengthening exercises, I've been incorporating some yoga poses and stretching to my daily routine. Also, fwiw--Back in the day, when I was an equestrian, some of the girls who had a naturally rounded posture bought and wore a "shoulders-back" which is sort of a figure 8 thing you wear over you shoulders which helps/forces your shoulders back.

Yeah, I have bad posture. It seems like when I sit or stand up really straight my heart rate gets even higher. When I have to sit for any length of time I'm always kind of sprawled out and I almost always have my feet up on something. People can look at you strangely because of it. I guess the way your feeling might not necessarily show, and people wonder why you just can't sit up 'normally'!