Night Sweats Interrupting Sleep

IceLizard

Hi you all. I have been having these night sweats most nights. 4-5 times a night I will wake up dripping wet and cold. It seems to happen to me when I am dreaming. This is interfering with my sleep and making me even more tired during the day. I assume they are a symptom of my autonomic dysfunction. Is there anything I can do to prevent these?

This happened to me at the very beginning of my symptoms appearing 7 years ago. Once I was diagnosed with Basesiosis and Lyme and treated with antibiotics, the night sweats went away. (Wish all my other symptoms did too!) I mention this becaus, although at the time I didn't know I had pots, I think once we know we have autonomic dysfunction, we assume every symptom is from that. Is it possible you have something else going on? Is this something you've struggled with on an ongoing basis with your pots or is it a sudden onset of a new symptom?

Those are good questions. I have had trouble with them for years, but never quite this bad. The pattern is similar to what angelloz described: occurring in clusters every so often. They have come back since my flare up about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering what could cause them and how to hasten their departure.

My son had this really bad. It stopped after he started taking extended release clonidine at night. This also helps him sleep through the night. Are you by any chance hyperpots? Have you had your Norepinpheine levels checked? My son recently had his checked and his levels were high. Clonidine helps lower this and has also stopped the night time sweating. I have accidently forgotten to to give my son this medication a couple of times. If I don't give it, the sweating happens and he does not sleep through the night. Since all this is happened, I don't forget to give this medication. My son will also remind me because he does not want to go to bed without it.

Rachel

I do not know whether I have hyperpots, but I have been showing some signs in that direction. Sometimes I will have both high heart rate and high blood pressure when standing. I was given clonidine for episodes of high blood pressure and it does help calm me. 3 weeks ago I tried the extended release patch but the longer I was on it, the worse my orthostatic intolerance seemed to become. I was then hospitalized with an extremely high heart rate and the doctors took me off the patch. My norepinephrine levels have not been checked.

This is all very confusing. Sometimes clonidine helps me feel better and sometimes I feel worse. I think I may need to have this investigated more thoroughly, but for that I may have to travel. Thanks for the input :)

I didn't sweat for nearly 6 years and then it swung the other way and now I sweat too much. I do believe menopausal transition had something to do with the ability to sweat kicking back in (athough I did experience the first year of hot flushes/flashes with no sweating which was very uncomfortable as I'd get hot but body could not cool itself).

At any rate I still sweat profusely with the slightest exertion at times but also have periods of feeling overheated -- like my body is too hot inside but no sweating occurs.

I use a fan and airconditioning. Both help a lot. It's summer here in Australia at the moment but we've had some milder days recently and only need to run the fan near me. I especially need to use it at night. It helps stop the sweating, the heat, and calms erythema (and rosacea that erythema has triggered, imo). I also use a fan in winter too -- whilst I'm under the bedcovers. Just having it blow gently on the back of my head helps keep me cool. Of course, Sydney Australia has some cold nights but nothing like parts of North America have and I have no idea what I'd do if our nights were freezing.

blue

My first thought was hormones. I have night sweats the week leading up to my period. Don't know if you're near menopause/peri-menopause age--but maybe a possibility.

Depending on your age, premenopause can happen much younger than we think. 30, maybe younger? I was very surprised to hear this. I went off my hormones a couple months ago, and my dysautonomia symptoms are worse BP, and over-heating). Now I have hot flashes, which are what you may be describing. Either way, a blood test for hormones is easy if you think it might be this.

Unfortunately night sweats seem to be a problem. I know mine get worse when it's cold and I'm muffled up, when it's summer and too hot anyway or when I'm having vivid dreams or the hormones are kicking in. I also notice they are worse when mu bowel is full for some reason. All very odd. I know I'm never cold in bed whatever the time of year.

• 1 year later...

I sweat the bed all the time. It also happens during the day. I found it gets better if I sleep nearly sitting up. It is very disturbing. I also notice that my heart rate is very high for no reason and nothing I can do will bring it down. I also sweat out of my shoes even when it is 30 degrees outside. Weird. Wearing socks does not make it better. These problems have been going on since I was young. Its not hormone related. Sometimes I just RADIATE heat from my abdomen and this is usually accompanied by a terrible pain in my back...but no other symptoms of infection....just thirsty

I just have sweats in general. Not at nite yet...but. This is new to me, sweat n clammy now for past 3 months. Sorry others have tho problem too. Another ans malfunction.