Unsolicited Medical Advice- Infuriating

spinner

My sister is a nurse. And i wish id never even begun to describe any of my medical problems because she considers herself

some kind of Neurologist with a Psychology degree.

She blurts out any kind of advice/thoughts that cross her mind and i had to basically cut her off.

I've tried to recently reconcile but even then she emailed some more unsolicited advice.......both medical

and observational (everyone has chronic disease!)

Moral of Story: If ANYONE starts this barrage of infuriating behavior, make it immediately clear that you love them

but you have no intention of letting them giving any advice whatever.

"My Neurologist. at Cleveland Clinic is handling it" or whatever is best.

A few of these people you will probably have to cut out of your life entirely.

That's why I don't talk about my condition to people anymore. If they ask how I'm doing, I say 'just fine'. Too bad it's your sister though. That's tough when it puts a strain on family relationships. My hubby's the only one in my family that knows and I don't even talk to him about it much.

Yep, we just have to learn that. Especially with "nurse experts" or ilk.

NOt to typecast.

But she's been simply unbearable.

I sent reference to dysautonomia and she said "so youre saying youre suffering from an infant disease"??

She's just a really obnoxious person beyond this whole thing.

Spinner,

I'm sorry your relationship with your sister is in a bad place. For a different reason than medical issues, I also have a strained and strange love/hate relationship with my sister. It's really difficult because I am a family oriented person. To learn to let go of the people closest to us when they become toxic is just so hard. Just remember that forgiveness is more for you and your well being than it is for her. Trying to convince someone who wants to have their head in the sand is only an exercise in frustration.

I'm sorry Spinner - it would be nice to have family that could rally around and uplift - but, it does not seem you have this - I gave up a long time ago attempting to explain anything about my disease to most people, including family - for the most part, no one really wants to hear it nor do they particularly care - I don't have to contend with unwanted advice because I simply don't talk about "it". I also learned a long time ago the old adage that we can't teach a pig to sing...it annoys the pig and it just can't be done!