Cough Palpitations

I've always wondered if this was a Dys-related thing.

I have "normal" palpitations quite often, but every now and again I will get this running set of palpitations that last anywhere from 10 secs to 10 minutes, the difference being that they seem to give me a feeling that I need to cough.

I have tried simply not coughing, just to see if maybe that would stop the palps, but instead I am absolutely forced to cough somehow. It's like a swelling in my chest just explodes along with the beat (or missing beat) of my heart, and forces its way out of me in the form of a cough or hack. Sometimes after a brief cough the palps will continue for a while after, other times it stops.

I'm not really sure why I get these weird cough palps, but I wonder, do you get them too?

Yes, I have this also. I think I've had it for years, before my dys-diagnosis though. I did have a doctor say that on my EKG, that I have an extra heartbeat every once in a while, like a catch-up beat, so I wonder if that's when it's triggering me to cough? Mine has never lasted for 10 minutes though. Have you had an ekg lately?

I get this too. You described it really well "like a swelling in your chest that just explodes" because it feels completely involuntary. I have noticed, at times, it coincides with my HR going into the 40's and sticking there for a bit. Other times it's just very brief then back to normal. I've had it happen while resting, but for me it happens more when I'm up and around.

In my case, it seems dysautonomia related because I never had this before.

I have had these, too. Strange feeling. I found the phenomenon mentioned on this Mitral Valve Prolapse site : http://www.mvprolapse.com/symptoms_testing.php

Thanks for replying, everyone! In a roundabout way I am glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Technically there is nothing 'wrong' with my heart, so it's good to see that the Dys is probably the culprit and hopefully nothing to worry about. It's jarring when it happens, but otherwise I guess it's somewhat normal.