Fluid Bolus Very Helpful

deucykub

It's been awhile since I've been on the forums. I did a quick search and did not see anything related to this, so I just wanted to share in case this might help someone out there as it did me.

My doctor, Dr. Kluger, Director of Heart Rhythm, Hartford Hospital, instructed me to intake fluids differently. Rather than just drinking large amounts of fluid casually throughout the day, he instructed me to drink a water bolus every few hours. By bolus, he is referring to drinking 16 oz of water in 5-10 minutes (or a non-sugar drink...I use Crystal Light). The bolus creates a temporary rise in blood pressure (2 hours) and helps alleviate symptoms.

It's not a cure, but it helps me last quite a bit longer during the day. The minute I start to crash, I drink a bolus and find myself able to last a couple more hours.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I had heard a couple other docs mention this in various videos but had forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder. Nice to hear someone's personal experience of it being helpful. :)

I find this really helpful, too! I was surprised at how much of a difference it made as compared to just drinking slowly all day. I read about it in a study a few months ago that talked about the effectiveness of ab binders and the bolus for low blood pressure/OH. I've found them both to be helpful.

I appreciate the reminder, as well :)

I drink about 60 ounces of fluids (half water, a quarter broth, a quarter unsweetened almond milk) over 30-40 minutes first thing in the morning. It really helps and I'm a mess without my morning fluids. Now I know one more reason why it is so helpful -- thanks!

I used to do this when leaving the house and it helped me do a few errands. I had forgotten about it too and will start again tomorrow! Thanks.

All about Peace- how is the binder helping you? Hope a lot...can you tell us what it does? I tried one two years ago and didn't like it, but maybe it was brand or that I was so ill then.

Cheers to all!

All about Peace- how is the binder helping you? Hope a lot...can you tell us what it does? I tried one two years ago and didn't like it, but maybe it was brand or that I was so ill then.Cheers to all!

Cheers, right back to you :)

I have a hard time explaining how the ab binder helps, because it's more of a feeling than it is something measurable. It boosts my BP a little; it helps me to be able to sit longer without symptoms; I can do short walks without feeling nauseous. Overall it makes me feel less cruddy {that's a scientific term, isn't it ;)}. I have bad leg pooling, and that study indicated that there is actually more pooling in the abdominal region. I didn't realize that I had constant low level nausea until I put on the abdominal binder and it helped. I'm motivated to put it on every morning and I don't care if people can notice I'm wearing it - it's that helpful for me !

Deucykub,

I had the same experience with compression hose! By the time I wrestled with them to get them on, I had zero energy to do what I was putting them on for. Lol !

I noticed in your signature that you are on a high dosage of Florinef (.3 mg). Do you mind me asking if you started out with that dosage when you were diagnosed or did you find that you needed to increase it over time? I'm taking .125 and if I attempt to go beyond that, I get headaches and I feel like I'm swollen up like a blowfish!

I'm actually down to .1 mg of Florinef. That signature is in desperate need of a rewrite, lol. My blood pressure skyrocketed after being on that dosage for about a year after my pregnancy. I started on a low dosage, was bumped up over time, and then dropped back down. When they dropped down my florinef, I tried Midodrine again (my first trial a few years prior results in bad headaches) and was able to tolerate it this time. My meds are currently 30 mg Cymbalta, .1 mg Florinef, 5 mg Midodrine (morning, noon) and 2.5 mg Midodrine around 3ish.