Trigger Point Injections

Darlene

i had gotten these trigger point injections the other day in my shoulders and neck, very painful.. the next day i woke up and my face and neck was red and hot to touch.. i think there was lidocaine and kenalog in the injection. what would cause my face to turn red like that and feel hot? i don't know if i should get these injections again.

I don't know this as fact, but I would guess you could be allergic to these substances just like any other drugs. I have never had trigger point injections but have had trigger point dry needling. When I have this done, I do often have hot, red areas around the sites we have worked on but they only last an hour or so. If you can't handle the injections, have you tried just dry needling to work on the trigger points?

This may or may not be unwelcome advice, and to be honest I do NOT know much about trigger point injections...BUT, I am getting my Master's/Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Both of these practices ("dry needling" and the injections) are NOT considered safe.

Who is giving you these treatments? Red and hot to the touch is NOT an appropriate reaction to needling...it sounds like infection or allergic reaction and I would see a doctor about that- especially if it's not getting better or causing discomfort. If you choose to get "trigger points" needled, please see a licensed acupuncturist (NCCAOM). Especially for us POTS/Dys patients whose systems are so delicate, a lot of those points can have adverse effects which a licensed acupuncturist would be aware of. A PT or whoever doing "dry needling" may have only taken a weekend course on needling- whereas a licensed acupuncturist has AT LEAST a Master's degree or doctorate and 3-6 years of graduate level schooling and clinical work.

Sorry for the earful! I hope it's helpful and not too preachy. I'm sorry you are dealing with this reaction and hope you recover quickly!

Trigger point injections can be saline or meds (anesthetic and/or steroids). Lidocaine I think is an anesthetic, and sometimes comes along with epinephrine, which a lot of POTS patients react badly to.

I would call the dr to report your reaction. If you had a bad reaction it makes sense that you wouldn't want to try them again.

I had saline injections in a couple of trigger points and had no problem, so they can definitely be a safe and effective treatment for some people.