Trouble Swallowing?

Becia

Anyone else experience trouble swallowing? Like, you take a drink of water, and just can't, and get choked on it, etc? For about the past week, it's been getting harder and hardere to swallow for me, and its really annoying when you have pills to take on schedule, food you have to force yourself to eat, and of course, our favorite, staying hydrated. We originally thought it was because I was kinda out of sorts due to a slight concussion last week, but I'm still having a tough time. Really chewing food and taking small bites and sips, trying to swallow twice to make sure it got down, but still getting choked.

When I was in the hospital, the EP cardiologist that saw me mentioned possible autonomic failure, and that perhaps this could be connected to that in the long run (which scared me to a heart rate of 170 sitting up), but I was curious if anyone else experienced this, and if so, how are you managing?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, this has been happening to me for the past year. Doing ok with liquids, but having a hard time with solid food, especially things thick and chewy like bagels or meat. It oddly seems to come and go where it will be a problem for several days and then be okay or I'll be okay the first few bites and then start having trouble. Feels like something is disrupting the swallowing mechanism and it gets scary like you're going to choke. I'm not sure how to manage this. I try to take small bites, chew really well and then swallow with water. Sometimes though I give up halfway through because I feel like I just can't do it and I'm full enough so I don't eat the rest. I have no idea what's causing this.

I had this a few months before I was even diagnosed with pots. I got a swallow study done. And it was normal because of course I was fine the day of the test!!!! It kind of comes and goes with me as well as most things. I have to avoid sticky foods when It happens and stretch neck out all the way when swallowing and drink lots of water with food. But the two times its flared up and gotten really bad even liquids are a challenge.

It is a vasovagal response...Your vagus nerve affects many things including swallowing. I have trouble, as well. Especially if I'm eating too fast. I chew very well and take small bites. I've done the same with pills and water, too. It's like you have to concentrate to do it. You have to make a conscious effort to do it properly. I sometimes get this feeling in my esophagus, as well, like it is sitting there not moving in to my stomach. It is a very strange feeling, but if you make a conscious effort to eat slowly, drink slowly, it gets much better. Your vagus nerve is the largest nerve and reaches the longest in your body. Read up on it; it's interesting... :)

Thanks for the responses y'all. Glad to know I'm not alone! I managed to eat some lunch and I've munched very very carefully on some apples today, which are just about rotten they are so mushy to begin with, lol. Been very slow doing anything today, and just irritating. I will definitely read up more about it :)

You may also want to ask a doctor about Myasthenia Gravis. It's an autoimmune disease that attacks the neuromuscular system. It can cause difficulty swallowing, along with eye problems, breathing problems, and weakness in the extremities. So many symptoms overlap in these conditions, it's difficult to find a correct diagnosis. Good luck to you! I hope you find answers!

Naomi...it's the same with breathing. I'll find myself holding my breath for no apparent reason!! No wonder I have sleep apnea!! Aimes...I've been tested for Myasthenia Gravis, as well, because I also had trouble with droopy eyelids and weakness, which are also a symptoms of this, and actually asked my Primary Doctor to check me for this, but these symptoms are also a part of the Autonomic Nervous System disorders, too. I thought nerve pain was a part of Dysautonomia, and thought that all patients with this had Fibromyalgia, or Chronic Fatigue, also, but that isn't necessarily so. Some of us do have autoimmune conditions, endocrine problems, GI and GU symptoms. Dehydration due to hypovolemia is a real problem, too, and that affects so many body systems. Even my corneas have given me trouble, because of this. I've also had pupil dilation, which causes blurry vision. There is such a plethora of problems associated with this disorder....Those who have trouble with dizziness/vertigo should also talk to an ENT to be checked for Menieres. I was happy to find out that I didn't have this or MS, which was another disease that I was tested for, but didn't have, thank God!!