Quick Question About Your Tachycardia

Akgirl

I was having a really good day today so was testing my pots with my heart rate monitor at home. It took 3 minutes for my heart to raise the required 30 beats. This is with me on all of my medication and feeling good!! So I have gathered that's pretty normal for most of us on this forum. But the strange part was I left my monitor on and just walked around went about my day, and the minute I start moving my heart rate starts going down and my tachycardia even goes away for periods of time? But then I stop and the tachycardia crashes back??? Is this normal?

I think it is for at least some of us. I hate standing in one place for any amount of time and on at least one occasion (in hot weather), almost fainted just standing whereas I hadn't been close to that while I was walking right before that (for hours). I didn't check numbers but I think pressure will drop or pulse can go up to compensate if you stand in one place.

Yes that's completely normal according to my doctor and follows my pattern 100%. When I first get up my heart rate will go from around 70 to around 120 regularly, but with walking goes back down to the 80s, 90s, lows 100s. If I stand still (or make some weird movement like putting on pants)... it will spike back up. It makes sense since the movement (and your leg muscles in particular) help blood circulate... compensating somewhat for your heart.

I'm between flares...or maybe just better...but I am functioning at full capacity with baseline symptoms. Today I laid down in the middle of the day after being out in the humidity and had a spike in HR, and pooling into my hands. It went away after a few minutes but it seems that slowing down for us doesn't mean that the message gets to our circulatory system.

Yes, I'm very tachycardic standing in one place and then when I start moving it starts to come down. I think it does have to do with the leg muscles as Dave suggested - squatting instantly brings my heart rate down. So if we could be in constant motion or go through life in a squatting position or perhaps be rolled around on a gurney? all would be fine! :wacko: Crazy illness...

70 would be normal for a person with a resting heart rate of 60-70, so don't think of it as "slow"... think of it as "normal" :)

It really is that blood circulates around your body more when you walk. Your heart rate response in some types of POTS is perfectly normal (the tachycardia) that is... blood is pooling in other parts of your body and your heart is racing to compensate pumping the lesser amount to your brain so you don't faint. If your heart didn't race when you stood (if your blood is pooling somewhere else) then you would faint... which would probably be worse than a racing heart.

Of course there are people with types of POTS where the heart rate response is completely abnormal. If your heart rate goes down when you walk, you may NOT be one of them. It maybe a helpful clue. Journal articles on POTS cover this, so I suggest looking it up if you're interested.