Cymbalta: Yes Or No?

pm72fl

Hi everyone! How many of you take or have taken Cymbalta? Is it helpful? How are the side effects?

I have POTS, NCS, Autonomic/Sudomotor Neuropathy, Chronic Migraines w/ auras, Gastroparesis, Raynauds and now...Ta Da... FIBROMYALGIA!! My one Dr wants to start me on Cymbalta but wants to consult with my Neuro first due to the side effects...especially the fainting upon standing! ( Which I agree is an issue already).

Have you all had any benefit from this drug?

My son tried Cymbalta with Abilify a couple of years ago. It wasn't helpful or hurtful to him. I was hopeful that it would help after reading a post(on a different forum) by a mother whose two daughters saw drastic improvement on high dose of Cymbalta. Unfortunately we didn't get any improvement, but at least it didn't cause him to get worse either.

My son was started on a very low dosage but after 48 hours his heart rate started racing. So he had to stop taking it.

I took it for four days and was absolutely miserable. I felt like I was losing consciousness for two solid days. I couldn't lift my head enough to even use a pillow. I also had a lot of stomach issues with it. The side effects weren't worth it for me, but hopefully you will have much better luck!

Eight years ago I when I saw Dr. Blair Grubb, he told me that SNRIs are sometimes more helpful than SSRIs for dysautonomia. He put me on 20 mg once a day and it seems to have really helped. The body aches are much less or gone and it improved my dysautonomia symptoms and carbohydrate tolerance. This is the minimum dose you can take, and when I try to increase it I get side effects like agitation and insomnia. When I try to stop it, the body aches return and my dysautonomia symptoms worsen. If you'd like to try it I recommend starting with the smallest dose possible.

My Rhematologist prescribed Cymbalta for me several years ago for fibromyalgia. I had too many problems with being nauseated and jittery and so I discontinued it. I realized later that for me an SNRI was probably not a good drug choice as I already had high NE levels and I should think that particular type of medication would raise the level even higher. I hope this medication or another fibromyalgia medication is helpful for you. It really is trial and error in finding the right one. I went through quite a few before finding one that helped me.

Janet

I am on 60mg of cymbalta daily, do i see a difference, a little. It has helped with the anxiety i never experienced until the potsie dx.

As for side effects, not that much (I am already dizzy, and insomnia has come with my other meds)

For me I do prefer cymbalta to Cipralex or celexa. I did ask my pharmacist about zoloft, and he stated that zoloft is an older drug and cymbalta is his sister drug (best was to describe it I guess)

Good luck with which ever you choose. Med changes are always a pain in the patooty

While on cymbalta my main problem was several daily instances of dry heaves due to the increased levels of norepinephrine. It didn't really help my pots symptoms. The worse part was coming off the drug: I became extremely moody and almost homicidal for a couple of days.