Trying Hypnotherapy...

I have a big medication phobia from POTS (go figure with all my crazy medication problems). I have been in therapy for over 3 years, but I just cant kick that med phobia. I have made an appt for a consult for hypnotherapy from a guy that is well known and actually knows his stuff. I am really hoping it helps. I know it wont be a miracle cure, but if he can get me to the point where I can swallow a pill without shear panic, then I will be VERY happy! Has anyone tried this before?

My neuropsychologist has tried hypnotherapy with me. I have a problem with becoming totally disoriented during it and really freaking out.

Afterwards also I would get this feeling that someone was taking my head and jerking it quickly to the side. My vision would also blip out and rotate with that sensation. Like they show in the movies when one guy is breaking another's neck? It was so horrible it made me scream right outloud and happened for maybe 2-3 days after along with a feeling that I wasn't totally conscious.

I joked with her after when she said yes some people get a paradoxical reaction to it that if there is some negative side effect possible I seem to always experience it and that if I could get over that at some point and my body would simply allow some form of treatment I might actually get relief of some of my symptoms.

Good luck dani.

I hope it works for you.

Dani, Please let us know how it goes. I actually have been considering it myself. I have a terrible phobia about medicines too. I am afraid to try new ones and afraid to get off the ones I am on, even though I think I do need to be on others. I have the fear for the same reason you do.

I am going back into therapy to help me deal with this and and all the other POTS stuff I am having trouble dealing with, but the past therapists I saw really didn't understand this. This time I requested a therapist that understands chronic illness and pain. I wish I hadn't read lieze's comment, I would not have thought there would be effects to this type of therapy. I will try not to think about that! LOL

Lieze-

Where they even able to hypnotize you? Usually you have to be very relaxed and they cannot do it unless you want to be. I am worried about being too anxious for them to hypnotize me.

Joann- I am meeting with the guy tomorrow and Ill post and update! I am really hoping this works because its basically my last hope. My phobia has just gotten so out of control, that i am unwililng to try any new med at this point. I was noticing how I wont even take an antibiotic when i need one because I am so afraid of the side effects. All this is def. stems from my POTS because I have never had this issue before I became sick. Cognitive therapy helps a bit, but when you have an out of control phobia, if feel like you just need more.

I was only starting to go out. She had me doing it here at home on my own with a cd and she did it the one time in her office. I am not sure she is skilled in this area. That is why I think going to an expert like you are doing may end up being a totally different experience for you.

I really didn't think it was for me the way it was conducted but it could have been her technique that didn't work for me.

Dani, I am so like you. Afraid to take anything. I need to start taking vitamin d again, and I have three different kinds here, and I am afraid to take any of them because I am afraid they will give me some reaction, and right now i can't imagine adding another symptom! LOL. Let alone all the talk of switching my bp meds!

I just did my first session! The actual hypno part went very well, but I did have symptoms after because I wasnt smart enough to realize that i should lay down while doing it, instead of sitting upright in a chair for an hour :/ Next time i will for sure lay down on the couch they have lol. I just makes you feel very relaxed. I remember every word he said and could have got myself out of the trance if I wanted to very easily. It does not feel like a drugged state of mind, just a total body relaxation that is great IF you are laying down lol

Awesome Dani! I'm glad it went well for you.

"46 year old female and mother of 4 ages 14, 12, 8 and 6 one daughter who is the 8 yr old

West Nile Virus: 2007 Chicken Pox: 2008 SVT's: 2009 Cardiac Ablation for AVNRT: July 2009

I have food allergies: corn, peas, peanuts, sesame, cantaloupe and everything outdoors.

Also sulfite and salicylate allergies which may effect medications I take also.

I keep Benadryl and an epi pen with me at all times"

Hi lieze,

Like you I have lots of allergies etc. I noted you wrote that you were allergic to 'everything outdoors.' I believe you but I'm wondering what you mean by this phrase? What sort of allergies -- natural or manmade or both? 9 months ago we moved from a beach side suburb with lots of fresh air to a trendy inner city suburb with heaps more traffic and industry to be closer to our daughter who was expecting her first baby and needed our support. I honestly feel that since I've moved here that I've gone further downhill.

blue

Hey blue, I am allergic to trees, grass, and all farm pollen.

I do okay usually being outside unless someone is mowing etc.

If I'm driving by a farm and they are harvesting I just roll up my windows,

Where we were living before we were nestled in trees. They wrapped around us with a lot of fallen stuff that was growing a type of mold that happens ith decay. I did not do well there at all. We still have trees here but they don't wrap around the house.