How To Go About Asking For Tests Without Sounding Like You're Crazy

Bebe, a few years ago, I had a neurologist consult which started off very badly. I could tell from his facial expressions and body language that he thought I "looked very healthy". I wasn't going to go back to him for a second visit, but my ex convinced me to go so I could at least get copies of the results of the tests he'd ordered.

As it turns out, I am a perfect example of not judging a book by it's cover. He actually said something to the effect of how deceptive it is that I come in such a cute and healthy appearing package--and yet I'm a complete mess. :) It was everything I had in me not to leap across his desk and strangle him because as a doctor he should know that's possible. At the same time, I know that he sees plenty of people seeking drugs b/c his practice specializes in pain management.

Whatever. I kicked him to the curb too. While I may have taught him a quick lesson, I don't want a doctor who's first thought is that I'm either a liar or exaggerator.

Nina

Nina,

Gotta love the ol' "But you don't look sick..." comments :wacko: . I'd love for someone to tell me how a sick person is supposed to look, maybe I should work on that :) Doctors in general (western medicine) are trained to treat symptoms, and that's generally what they do. Well, if I took a pill for each of my myriad symptoms, I'd be on dozens of pills. I'm not looking for a pill quite frankly. I'm looking for a doctor that can put all the pieces of the puzzle together and help me to figure out the best treatment plan. I have yet to find that doctor. Seriously, how can a doctor look at me and tell me, "I can tell just by looking at you that you don't have autoimmune issues." REALLY???!!! It's just so frustrating. If I had a dime for every time someone said to me, "Wow, you look great! You must be feeling better." or "Wow, you look great, have you lost weight?" I'd be rich!! I wish that doctors wouldn't put everyone into their little box or med. text book. Everyone is different and thus deserves to be treated as an individual.

Once we get my daughter's issues straightened out, I am going to ask her Cardiologist for suggestions or referrals to someone that might know a least a little more than I do about POTS. We've been seeing this doctor for years now and I do trust her, although when she suggested that my daughter had dysautonomia, she just said to make sure to keep hydrated. If that's all it took for me, "just keep hydrated", I'd be healed by now and living a normal life.

It might take a while for me to relax, but the search will continue; it has to for my family's sake as well as my own :)

Thanks for your response!

Be well,

Bebe

Bebe, I'm so sorry, you have had soooo much on your plate of late. (Daughter,husband sick) Then to have a stupid Dr say that to you. It's just shameful. I had a bad experience with my GP this wk also. Questioning Mayo results and diagnosis. Says he won't believe them unless Dr Goodman personally explains them to him. Said he never heard of such a thing as Hyper Pots. Or the kind of testing to get that diagnosis. So even having the diagnosis doesn't make getting decent doctoring in home town any better. Wish we could clone some of the Dysautonomia Dr instead of sheep! Heha

:) Mydoggielovesme2

I wish we could clone them too!!

Thanks for your well wishes!! I think I'm going to have to get a bigger plate!! :blink: I just gotta go with the flow, I don't know what else to do, but to be absolutely grateful for what I do have; a loving supportive husband (albeit, not quite healthy at this particular time) and great kiddos (even though daughter is going through all this, she's such a trooper). Don't even get me started on the bills...apparently, I should've gone into Cardiology!!

Sorry about your GP visit. It just stinks when they question our every question. Obviously, there are many doctors out there that need to read the articles that we somehow get our hands on, ie: Dr. Grubb, who outlines specifically the different types of POTS. If they could live in our bodies for one day, I think they'd run screaming for the hills :)

I firmly believe that there are good (even great, dare I say) doctors out there. We just have to be patient and keep up the search.

Hoping you have better days ahead :)

{{Hugs}}

Bebe